Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Starting multiple copies of step only leads to alternate, but not parallel

Default Starting multiple copies of step only leads to alternate, but not parallel

I have a "merge rows (diff)" step, and after that a "synchronize after merge".
    The "merge rows" seems fast enough, as it finishes after 700 seconds (100000 read, 50000 written, about 30000 differences)
    The "synchronize after merge" is running really lot slower, so i tried to run multiple copies of this step, but if running with a commit size of 100 there is only 1 thread doing it work, and the other does nothing, after that the other thread runs the next 100 and so forth. (around 7 rows/sec)
    If i put the commit size to 1 both run, but i think they just change fast enough to seem both run.
    Is it my fault, is it not planned like this, or is it a bug?

*push*

Since the step copies each have a separate transaction and need to perform inserts, deletes and updates I would try to make the transformation transactional. Use the option in the xform settings dialog. (Misc tab)
    Otherwise one transaction is continuously blocking the other one or even causing a deadlock.