Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Birt 2.5 now supports 6 output formats...

Default Birt 2.5 now supports 6 output formats...

My update for Birt 2.5 on Pentaho 3.0.0 now supports :

html, pdf, doc, ppt, xls, postscript

I've removed lot's of stuff in the java code and the log dir should now work.

But I need you to test this new update !!

See you !!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by thibautr; 09-04-2009 at 07:11 AM.

Hi thibautr,

i have started pentaho with your new pentaho-bi-platform-plugin-actions-3.0.0-STABLE.jar and the following warning is disappeared:
    Code:
    Warning: Running an XSLT 1.0 stylesheet with an XSLT 2.0 processor
    04.09.2009 00:04:32 org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.EngineLogger createFileLogger
    WARNUNG: logDir "" doesn't exist and  be created
    java.io.IOException: logDir "" doesn't exist and  be created
    Thank you, that is great!!!

But one question to your post, how do you mean that with the support of the different formats:
    html, pdf, doc, ppt, xls, postscript

By the way, is there a posibility like with the birt-viewer to export the report in that formats (pdf, xls,...) by running the report?

Thx+Bye
    ManInBlack

Hum... I think you didn't remove the old pentaho-bi-platform-plugin-actions-3.0.0-STABLE.jar no ?

I've seen that I made a mistake when packaging the jar... it was named pentaho-bi-platform-plugin-actions-3.0-STABLE.jar...

I've nothing like yours warning :-/

By the way, when I said my plugin supports all Birt output format, I mean that you can export your report in PDF, DOC, PS...

In your xaction, set the output format to :
    pdf
    html
    postscript (and not just "ps")
    doc
    xls
    ppt

Thib.

Sorry, i expressed it just a bit wrong.

I mean with the old pentaho-bi-platform-plugin-actions-3.0.0-STABLE.jar I got the warning. With your new jar, I have got that warning no longer.

I deleted the old pentaho-bi-platform-plugin-actions-3.0.0-STABLE.jar and copied your one in that folder.

So the question is, did you and the other pentaho-user get this warning too int the past? (before the update with your new JAR-file)

But actually it doesn´t matter, by using your JAR everythink works fine

CU
    ManInBlack

Oh OK

I used to have the same warning...

It was because the last version tried to define the log dir on "" and not on "/system/logs/BIRT"... why ? don't really know !

But now, everything's all right, and we have the ReportEngine logs.

It seems to work fine on my install, but if you find something...

Thib.

Question Birt 2.5 Charts and Export

I'm able to run Birt reports. I'm using Birt 2.5 and Pentaho 3.0.
    I've put your jar.
    I have a simple report with a list and a bar chart. The list is shown but chart is not displayed.
    Also, how can I export the report? I mean, I've just using a simple xaction with the Birt Component and setting the output to doc or xls, but I only get this message.

Action SuccessfulBirtReport=bi-developers/reporting/launch_birt_report.xaction.xls, bi-developers/reporting/launch_birt_report.xaction/xls/9f8b17bd-9d54-11de-8741-d3a15fbeaca4, application/vnd.ms-excel

@jrlopez : I'm not really sure of what is your problem. do you mean you can't save automatically your report on your system? maybe you can try without specifying an output name to your report

@thibautr : My report can be generate in Excel successfully but I got the same trouble than jrlopez, that is my charts and pictures are not displayed, whatever the export format. Do you know how to fix that?

thks
    Last edited by siroy; 09-10-2009 at 06:19 AM.

Have you updated the Birt Runtime with the v2.5 ? and download the JAR from this thread, then deleted the old pentaho-bi-platform-plugin-actions-3.0.0-STABLE.jar ?

Check the log (in system/logs/BIRT) and tell me what you have.

I've done this new jar to avoid the chart generation problem... I don't really understand why you still have this pb.

jrlopez >> same as siroy, can you explain us a bit more what you want to do ?

Thibaut, All,

BIRT reports in Pentaho have a long standing issue with charts not being displayed. I hope that's solved now, have a look at the fix in http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=72284 and let me know if that works for you.

Thibaut: I've created a jira case (BISERVER-3598) for the output formats, can you attach your .java files there?

EDIT: This patch duplicates the patches in BISERVER-3464 by Thibaut

Regards,

Bart
    Last edited by bamaer; 09-12-2009 at 07:53 AM.

Default Export issue

I've tested plugin from bamaer in http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=72284 and it works. Birt reports are displayed.

I understand that when I set output format as 'doc' for birt reports, I will get the usual download file or the explorer displaying the doc. Is that right?

Using the attached jar, I can generate my report in Excel but charts and pictures are not displayed in Excel and Web.

Using files from http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/BISERVER-3464 I have my charts and pictures in Web (and scheduling is working well ) but I can't export in Excel

Using Bamaer's jar, it's the same, I have my charts and pictures in Web (I didn't tested the scheduling but jrlopez seems to say that it's not working) and I can't export in Excel

No one has the perfect jar with everything working well??
    Last edited by siroy; 09-29-2009 at 08:55 AM.

Hello,

I know for a while where is the problem and i know how to fix it. I'll do it in the next weeks but for now, i got to much things to do...

Sorry for that guys, i'll do an new post when it will be ready.

And maybe i'll do the jar for 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5

++

OK thibaut

I'm waiting for your jar

Thanks

Try the attached jar (just rename to .jar instead of .jar.zip).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yessssssss

it's working perfectly with bamaer's file.

I tested Excel export successfully (pictures are not displayed but it's alright)

I tested HTML export successfully (charts and pictures are displayed)

I tested PDF export successfully

I tested sending email with PDF and Excel attachment successfully

I tested the scheduling with PDF and Excel successfully

Great!

Thanks a lot
    Last edited by siroy; 09-30-2009 at 05:48 AM.

Default Great!

I also confirm that it's working.
    I tested successfully:
    - doc export
    - sending email with doc attachment
    - scheduling an email with doc attachment

thanks everyone!