Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: PRPT Report Burst

Default PRPT Report Burst

Hello,

I just started playing with the 3.5ceRC2 server and the latest tools that go along with it. There has been a lot of changes since I started working with 1.6ce and I was hoping if someone could assist.

I am attempting to burst a .prpt report using an xaction. I have successfully setup the server for email capability, but when I attach the report I receive this error:

Code:
    Error: RuntimeContext.ERROR_0021 - Invalid output  parameter "outputstream" requested during execution of  lining_efficiency_report_burst.xaction  (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext) Debug: Starting execute of  plant-minder/burst_xactions/lining_efficiency_report_burst.xaction  (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Debug: Getting  runtime context and data  (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Debug: Loading  action sequence definition file  (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Debug: audit:  instanceId=d67a34c6-9d49-11de-85d2-435c74981b84,  objectId=org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext,  messageType=action_sequence_start  (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Error:  RuntimeContext.ERROR_0021 - Invalid output parameter "outputstream" requested  during execution of lining_efficiency_report_burst.xaction  (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Error:  Base.ERROR_0002 - Component execution failed  (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.PojoComponent)
    Error:  RuntimeContext.ERROR_0012 - ActionDefinition for SimpleReportingComponent did  not execute successfully  (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Error:  SolutionEngine.ERROR_0007 - Action sequence execution failed  (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.
    Anonymous

Have you declared your output stream in the XAction "action-outputs" section?
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Hi,

I have the same problem when i want integrate prpt in design studio.
    Yes, my <action-outputs> is good.

What is the problem ?

Design Studio 3.5 RC2

Thanks

Well I rebuilt the xaction, with only the report generated and then emailed. I end up with the following error:

Code:
    Error: SolutionEngine.ERROR_0007 - Action sequence  execution failed  (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine) Debug: Starting execute of plant-minder/burst_xactions/burst_test.xaction  (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Debug: Getting  runtime context and data  (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Debug: Loading  action sequence definition file  (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Error:  SolutionEngine.ERROR_0007 - Action sequence execution failed  (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine)
    I've also attached the xaction and prpt files, in case that would help....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.
    Anonymous

I've not been able to make any headway with this so I figured I'd give the thread a bump.

Any assistance will be appreciated, thanks!

*UPDATE*

I think this may actually be a bug. I found a bug report in JIRA that describes the same type of problem:

http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/BISER...s:all-tabpanel

Hopefully once it gets resolved this issue will go away....
    Last edited by DBA_Alex; 09-10-2009 at 03:00 PM.
    Anonymous

Post Pentaho Reporting Component

DBA Alex,
    SimpleReportingComponent is not on the pallet in the Design Studio that I can see. I'm trying to get a simple parameterized report to run in an xaction, and failing, but I'm doing it with the JFreeReportComponent (add/report/Pentaho Report).
    Your xaction didn't even load in Eclipse. When I pasted in your report and email components, updated my outputs as per the thread referenced in the bug report you note and so forth, I reproduced your errors.
    Ion

What version of the Design Studio are you using? I upgraded to the latest version of the eclipse plugins (3.5RC1) when I started working with the new server.
    Anonymous

Default Community Edition

pds-ce-3.5.0-RC2.zip

The SimpleReportingComponent is called the Pentaho Report Process Actions. This is available in both the PDS-CE-3.5.0-RC2 and in the eclipse plugin.

Running a sample similar to the one I attached results in the following error:
    Code:
    Error: Base.ERROR_0002 - Component execution failed -  java.lang.NullPointerException  (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.PojoComponent) Debug: Starting execute of plant-minder/burst_xactions/burst_test.xaction  (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Debug: audit:  instanceId=5dc208f8-a2f8-11de-b34c-357d00bf4078,  objectId=org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext,  messageType=action_sequence_start  (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Error:  Base.ERROR_0002 - Component execution failed - java.lang.NullPointerException  (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.PojoComponent)
    Error:  RuntimeContext.ERROR_0012 - ActionDefinition for SimpleReportingComponent did  not execute successfully  (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    This is also taking into account the thread associated with that bug report:

http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread...442#post222442
    Anonymous

Wink JFreeReportComponent

That's odd. As I said below, clicking add, reports, Pentaho report gives me a JFreeReportComponent.

I get a JFreeReportGeneratorComponent when I select 'Pentaho Report Pro' as my report type. Just selecting 'Pentaho Report' gives the SimpleReportingComponent. Fun stuff, heh.
    Anonymous

"Pentaho Report Pro" gives me a JFreeReportGeneratorComponent as well.

Default Eclipse

It turns out I was using the Eclipse plug-in. The free-standing report designer gives me SimpleReportingComponent, but it has a lot of problems, in that it won't generate URLs and the Action Sequence Wizard can't create a new xaction, as it seems to have no file containers. Nor does it seem to remember any settings or file locations. There's probably something really wrong with what I've done.

One thing I've noticed is that spaces in a file name/path are not liked.

You may need to uninstall and reinstall the plugin - could be getting confused between versions...
    Anonymous

Thanks, Alex. I've sort of caught up to you, in that I'm having a NullPointerException.
    Error: Base.ERROR_0002 - Component execution failed - java.lang.NullPointerException (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.PojoComponent)Debug: Starting execute of Bridge-To-Data//Higgeldy Piggeldy.xaction (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Debug: Getting runtime context and data (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Debug: Loading action sequence definition file (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Debug: audit: instanceId=5fe3068d-a3b7-11de-8cab-f1f4d4d67d60, objectId=org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext, messageType=action_sequence_start (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Error: Base.ERROR_0002 - Component execution failed - java.lang.NullPointerException (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.PojoComponent)
    Error: RuntimeContext.ERROR_0012 - ActionDefinition for SimpleReportingComponent did not execute successfully (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Error: SolutionEngine.ERROR_0007 - Action sequence execution failed (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <action-sequence> 
      <title>Subscription Report</title>
      <version>1</version>
      <logging-level>ERROR</logging-level>
      <documentation> 
        <author/>  
        <description>Empty blank action sequence document</description>  
        <help/>  
        <result-type/>  
        <icon/> 
      </documentation>

<inputs> 
        <to type="string"> 
          <sources> 
            <request>to</request> 
          </sources>  
          <default-value><![CDATA[nobody@door3.com]]></default-value> 
        </to>  
        <from type="string"> 
          <sources> 
            <request>from</request> 
          </sources>  
          <default-value><![CDATA[reporting@gmail.com]]></default-value> 
        </from>  
        <datepreset type="string">
          <sources>
            <request>datepreset</request>
          </sources>
          <default-value><![CDATA[1968-04-25;2088-04-25]]></default-value>
        </datepreset>
        <industry type="string">
          <sources>
            <request>industry</request>
          </sources>
          <default-value><![CDATA[a-showall,]]></default-value>
        </industry>
        <licenselevel type="string">
          <sources>
            <request>licenselevel</request>
          </sources>
          <default-value><![CDATA[5,10,u,]]></default-value>
        </licenselevel>
      </inputs>

<outputs> 
        <from type="string"/>  
        <to type="string"/>  
        <outputstream type="content"/> 
      </outputs>

<resources/>

<actions> 
        <action-definition> 
          <component-name>SimpleReportingComponent</component-name>
          <action-type>Pentaho Report</action-type>
          <action-inputs>
            <datepreset type="string"/>
            <industry type="string"/>
            <licenselevel type="string"/>
          </action-inputs>
          <action-outputs> 
          </action-outputs>
          <component-definition> 
            <reportDefinitionPath><![CDATA[solution:Subscription Report.prpt]]></reportDefinitionPath>  
            <outputType><![CDATA[application/pdf]]></outputType> 
          </component-definition> 
        </action-definition>

<action-definition> 
          <component-name>EmailComponent</component-name>
          <action-type>E-Mail</action-type>
          <action-inputs> 
            <to type="string"/>  
            <from type="string"/> 
          </action-inputs>
          <component-definition> 
            <subject><![CDATA[Subscription Report]]></subject>  
            <message-plain><![CDATA[test]]></message-plain>  
            <attachment-ref name-param="attach_name_1" input-param="outputstream"/>  
            <attach_name_1><![CDATA[outputstream]]></attach_name_1> 
          </component-definition> 
        </action-definition>

</actions> 
    </action-sequence>
    I do have a note in my general query log that the report made its main query, but it passed all nulls.
    call SubscriptionReport(CONCAT(null), CONCAT(null), null, null)

And, OK, I hadn't updated Eclipse properly, but now it's at 3.5RC1 -- there's no 3.5RC2 for the Eclipse plug-in at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pentaho/files/. And, now when I open my NullPointerException generating file in Eclipse, I get an error box with the title "Error: Invalid XML" and the prompt "The following XML nodes were not specifed <blank line, presumably meant to list unspecified XML nodes> You must fix the XML before continuing."

Try recreating the file in the new DS and see what you get. There has more than likely been some changes made from previous versions.

When I run the xaction, I do not see anything running for the report in my query logs.

At least some progress is being made and I'm not crazy, heh.
    Anonymous

Default see /bi-developers/reporting/unified-file-format/report-gen-sample3.xaction

I copied the report parts over -- including the bit about the javascript and the solution repository -- over into my code. It's successfully creating the report, although it complains when I save that 'result-set' is undefined. If I remove result-set, the whole thing fails.

I'm not successfully sending email, but this will come in the fullness of time.

There is a bug pending for bursting with the simple-reporting component.

http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/BISERVER-3615

So you may want to try the CI builds instead of RC2.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Thanks, Taqua. Do you mean the CI builds for the actionsequence editor only, or for the report designer and BI server as well?

Sorry, I see in the parameters thread you specify both the server and the action sequence.

Thanks Taqua. I'll try the latest CI build and see what happens
    Anonymous

DBA Alex,
    How's that going for you? It doesn't look like there's been a successful CI build of the action sequence editor since August 11
    http://ci.pentaho.com/job/actionsequence-plugin/changes
    Build 3059 looks pretty happening on the BISERVER side.
    http://ci.pentaho.com/job/BISERVER-CE/changes
    Fixed another NPE caused by the output handlers assuming that they can get the inputStream from the IContentItem and use it. However HttpContentItem and SimpleContentItem both return null from getInputStream()

Ook. I tried the most recent build, 3063, and it can't even run its own sample.
    gives
    Error: SolutionEngine.ERROR_0007 - Action sequence execution failed (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine) Debug: Starting execute of bi-developers/reporting/unified-file-format/temp.xaction (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Debug: Getting runtime context and data (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Debug: Loading action sequence definition file (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Error: SolutionEngine.ERROR_0007 - Action sequence execution failed (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine)

Unhappy CI Builds unhelpful

Same thing with 3059. Looks the the CI Builds were a bust. I've attached the whole of my Pentaho.log.

Hey again ion,

I've tried doing a rprt burst with 3.5 stable and end up with the same error as in your log file. Trying to troubleshoot my way through it again. Have you had any luck?
    Anonymous

I hope this helps. Attached are two samples of bursting.

1. BurstSales.xaction & Sales_by_Customer.prpt - This sample bursts from a PRPT and the data is coming from the SQL Component.

2. BurstSales_PRPT.xaction & Sales_by_Customer_PRPT.prpt - This sample bursts from a PRPT and the data is coming from the query defined in the PRPT.

kcruzada,

You just made my year. The difference between our xactions was where the output was looking:
    my file
    Code:
      <outputs> 
        <outputstream type="content"> 
          <destinations> 
            <file>content</file> 
          </destinations> 
        </outputstream> 
      </outputs>
    your BurstSales.xaction
    Code:
      <outputs> 
        <reportOutput type="content"> 
          <destinations> 
            <contentrepo>reportOutput</contentrepo> 
          </destinations> 
        </reportOutput> 
      </outputs>
    The xaction I developed forced the destination as 'file' instead of going into the content repository. I also noticed that contentrepo is not in the list of destinations when looking in the 'Define Process' tab. Could this be because of the version I'm using or the version being corrupt, or is it just not in the list as of yet?

Either way, many thanks for solving this very vexing puzzle *tips hat*
    Anonymous

The disadvantage of this is that you can't then send the output back to the end user like you used to be able to do in 1.7.

Just a thought, can you have multiple destinations?

One with contentrepo and one for displaying.

dmoran Guest

I'm pretty sure you can only send to one destination - If you are saving to a location that is url addressable, you can tell the browser to redirect to that file by setting an output to destination=response and value of redirect.

so if the url parameter contains the url of the reoprt you just created, the output would look like
    Code:
    <url type="string"> 
        <destinations> 
            <response>redirect</response> 
        </destinations> 
    </url>
    it would save the file and load it in the browser.

wvaibhav Guest

Default PRPT Mail sending instructions

Hi,

Let us have a very quick instructions for mail sending for prpt in BI 3.5.
    • publish your prpt report on the server
    • copy and paste existing pentaho-solutions\bi-developers\reporting\unified-file-format\email_incomestatement_external.xaction file to your folder and open it in Pentaho Studio
    • Change following in input category
      • inputs --> sendTo --> to your mail ID,
      • resources --> report-definition --> brows to your prpt
    • Keep rest of the things as it is, save, refresh the solution repository and execute your xaction and check your mail, you should receive the mail with an attachment.
    • If mail delivery fails, check the smtp settings.
    • If you want to customize, then you can dig it more to have your look and feel.
    Wants more details, just study the existing .xaction file

Thanks
    Vaibhav Kumar

Sorry these are out of the way instructions for getting job done quickly.
    Last edited by wvaibhav; 10-28-2009 at 12:15 AM.

Some extra notes:

* Make sure that your published report does not have any spaces in the name. This has caused my burst xaction to error

* I think for most reports, unless your burst logic is ran by a SQL query, there is no need for any kind of SQL statement to get the report to run. It's all stored in the prpt file.

* If your report has any parameters, you need to declare them before you run the report.

If I find any other 'gotchas' I'll post them here.
    Anonymous

wvaibhav Guest

Default Removed the query instructions

Hi Alex,

I have removed the query instruction from the thread and also checked for functioning of the .xaction, it is working fine.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Vaibhav

Default File Output

Dear all,

this thread is dealing with all kind of outputs of an xaction, which unfortunately is not well documented. Therefore I think, this question is appropriate:

What different possibilities does "Process Outputs" have?

I am especially interested in the combination of "SimpleReportingComponent" and the output destination "file". The file should be saved somewhere specific on the server and be named by parameters.

Any hints would help.

Thanks

Benedikt

Default specific

... to be more specific:

I'd like to save executed prpt-Reports on the BI-Server. But somehow SimpleReportingComponent and output destination "file" don't work together.

I have tried "contentrepo" as destination which works. However, as I apparently can't specify the name (and location) of the files, this way is not suitable for me - with more than 100 created files I need to avoid somehow the effort of renaming them manually.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

Benedikt

Default Please

No one a clue?

Hi there,

I have created a xaction on PDS CE 4.0.0 using the Sample Burst Action Template but i am getting an error. Was not supposed to work without any change as it is using sample data? The Send Email template is working well. Or what i am doing wrong or i need to change to put it working? I wanted to have something working even with sample data and then later i could adapt to my scenario that is sending prpt files converted to pdf after getting users emails from database.
    Thanks for helping.

Error message:

The Pentaho BI Platform reported an error while running an action sequence

Possible Causes:
    RuntimeContext.ERROR_0017 - [pt_18] Activity failed to execute
    Action Sequence:EnvioEmail.xaction
    Execution Stack:
    EXECUTING ACTION: Generate the report (org.pentaho.jfree.JFreeReportComponent) in LOOP ON: rule-result
    Loop Index (1-based):0
    Error Time:Quarta-feira, 30 de Novembro de 2011 11H19m GMT
    Error Type:ActionExecutionException
    Session ID:joe
    Instance Id:2d4734a8-1b45-11e1-aa9e-4fde410cc387
    Action Class:org.pentaho.jfree.JFreeReportComponent
    Action Description:Generate the report
    Last edited by NoFxPT; 11-30-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Nobody helps?