Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: New BI Server component for Analysis View

Default New BI Server component for Analysis View

Hello everybody,

Firstly i must take this opportunity to appreciate whole team of Pentaho BI Server, Gr8 work!!
    Presently I am using latest release Pentaho BI Server 3.5 RC1. My problem is that I want to develop a separate BI server component for Analysis View inplace of JPivot; which can be using either flash, JFreeCharts or Open Flash Chart that can execute an xaction file and display tables and charts itself. I am wondering is there any way to develop such component using plugins like feature.
    You kind help will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Maya Thapa

pstoellberger Guest

Are you saying you want to develop something that replaces JPivot?
    Have you heard of the PAT Analysis Tool project? http://code.google.com/p/pentahoanalysistool/ - we're aiming to replace JPivot with that

-paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for your response. Yes i want to replace JPivot, so I have downloaded the PAT 4.0 and exploring it out as per your suggestion. Seems somewhat near to what i wanted, though still need time to get my hand into it.

Thanks,
    Maya Thapa

Hi Paul,

PAT 0.4 is pretty good as it has many features such as draggable dimensions, connection to XMLA and so on. Would have been better if there has been option of charts too as I didn't find one.

I have few questions regarding Pentaho BI Server which are:

1. Will PAT be integrated in the future releases of Pentaho BI Server or will be released as separate project?

2. I have gone through documents and links of PenatahoFlashCharts(based on OpenFlashCharts) and ChartBeans framework (which is supposed to be a wrapper engine over the PentahoFlashChart), so I am wondering whether the PenatahoFlashCharts is going to be used for analysis report or not? or will it be integrated in future release of PAT?

3. About JPivot Integration in BI Server: At the moment, for Analysis View JPivot is being used as it is(showing all the OLAP components-charts, pivot table, toolbar etc... on the same page). What will be the best approach to customize the Analysis View such as Popup Window for properties setting, tabs for charts and tables on same page etc...? Currently I see a jsp page-Pivot.jsp that has been used to generate different pivot ids for different analysis views. Customization can be achieved by editing Pivot.jsp as per requirement, though I dont see it as a proper approach. So i want to develop a separate plugin for properly customized UI structure using flex components out of the olap results and integrate it to BI Server, so wondering is it feasible or not? if yes would u mind to suggest me the best approach for it?

Thanks,
    Maya Thapa