Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: How to allow user to use AND or OR logical relation between query items

Default How to allow user to use AND or OR logical relation between query items

Does anybody know that Pentaho allow users to define the logical relationship between two dragged query items?

For example, if I drag item1 and item2 to the Detail window, sometimes I want to get result which is satisfied with both item1 AND item2. But sometimes I want to get result which is satisfied with either item1 OR item2.

Please let me know if Pentaho can do that. If yes, how?

Thanks for your help in advance.

You may want to have a look at metadata formulas: http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/Serv...adata+Formulas

Thanks Bamaer for your reply.

Probably I did not make myself clear. What I am looking for is the capability which allows END USERS to define AND or OR relation between two items when they do reporting. I have not found anywhere from UI which allows end users to define AND or OR relations between items so far.

I understand that underneath developer can define AND or OR relation between items. But once it has been defined. The end users do not have the flexibility to change it when they do the ad hoc reporting.

Thanks again for your help.

you can specify 'AND' or 'OR' for constraints on the same object, for example (e.g. ITEM1 = 'XXXX' OR ITEM1 = 'YYYY'), but (as far as I know) not between different objects (e.g. ITEM1 = 'XXXX' or ITEM2 = 'YYYYY').
    This is a limitation, but a lot can be solved by creating smart constraints...

Thanks Bamaer. Could you please give me some info about how to use smart contraints? I did google search "pentaho smart contraints". I did not find anything.

Thanks again for your help.