Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dashboard Designer Vs CDF

Default Dashboard Designer Vs CDF

Hello Peers,

What is the difference in creating Dashboards using Dashboard Designer and CDF ?

In CDF we create a Dashboards.jsp , template-dashboard.html , dashboard-list.xsl. Do we need to follow the same procedure in Dasboard designer or do we have drag&drop options in it like other dashboard wizards of other tools.

To create dashboards in dashboard designer does a person need to have knowledge of JSP, X-actions,... The question looks silly, but i am confused , plz conform..

CDF doesn't use jsp's, check the docs.
    This is a signature.... everyone gets it.

Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!
    Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

http://mattlittle.files.wordpress.co...-bananaman.jpg

The Dashboard Designer uses CDF to create dashboards. Basically it is the CDF design tool (GUI) in the Pentaho Enterprise Edition, which comes with some extras like a Chart Designer. It is aiming at end users, without any programming knowledge.The Dashboard Designer is Drag&Drop or at least no coding of files is required.

To build dashboards using CDF, without a GUI, you need some basic HTML and JavaScript knowledge, that's it.
    Last edited by ingo.klose; 10-15-2009 at 07:10 AM.

Dont forget pedros open source dashboard designer is now available - aimed at developers for developing cdf dashboards!

thanx for the information,

all that i understood is CDF dont have a gui, where Deshboard designer have a gui. But both based on same concept ..

then where u group those html and javascript, in eclipse designer studio ?

Thanx in advance ....

CDF is the Framework that is used by the Dashboard Designer.....therefore Dashboard Designer is a GUI for CDF. The other GUI is Pedro's CDF Editor, which you can find here.

You can create your html/javascript in any editor you like as long as you put them into the Pentaho solution folder afterwards.
    Last edited by ingo.klose; 10-15-2009 at 09:16 AM.

Hi

i have downloaded and copied the pentaho-cdf folder under pentaho-solutions\system directory , copied the pentahomeeting09 in pentaho-solutions\bi-developers. I found CDF folder in userconsole. There are some documentation, samples folders are there in it. But i didnt find any GUI or designer or Create New Dashboard like stuff ... am i missing something ?

CDF itself has no GUI....did you download the CDF Editor, too?

I just downloaded cdfde-0.1.tar.bz2 from http://code.google.com/p/cdf-de/downloads/list as u mentioned in ur previous post.

Next step is to register the plugin.....since the Designer is a Pentaho Plugin.

For that you go to http://your_serverort/pentaho/Admin

There you execute Refresh Plugin Adapter. Somewhere in the output window it should have a bit of text like: "Content generator registered: pentaho-cdf-dd for plugin Dashboard Designer Framework, Plugin Dashboard Designer Framework has registered successfully"

Now the Designer is registered with the BI Server.

If you navigate to the CDF Samples and especially the one in pentahomeeting09 you should be able to select EDIT when you right click. Then the CDF Editor opens.