Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Upgrading 1.7 reports to 3.5 format

Default Upgrading 1.7 reports to 3.5 format

What's the process to upgrade reports to the new format? At the very least to make it show up again in the browser area but ideally so that it uses the new format.

Please don't say create them from scratch

Your reports should be visible without any modification after a server upgrade.

To upgrade the file format:
    1. open .report in PRD 3.5
    2. save and/or publish as .prpt (3.5 format)

Btw: Unless you want to edit the reports, you dont have to do anything. Reports published with older versions of the tools will work as usual and will show up like any other XAction in the BI-Server (heck, thats because they are XActions).

Also: You should definitely work from *.report files when you want to upgrade your reports. You *can* open published *.xml files, but what you get wont be pretty nor would it contain any datasources.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

There were limitations in 1.7 that required us to make certain changes to reports once they were published so saving the .report and using that for any changes was counter productive.

Since the old reports don't show up correctly (even though they are in the solutions repository and it has been refreshed) it looks like I may need to recreate them all from scratch. I'll try to see if anything else will get the reports to show first before moving ahead with that. Perhaps there is a dependency that I'm missing with how the report is named.

More info. When trying to fetch the repository to browse in the web app returns a BatchUpdateException: "Packet for query is too large".

Looks like this may be why my old reports are not showing. Says to change the max value using the max_allowed_packet variable.

Fixing that mysql issue didn't solve anything. Bumped max_allowed_packet to 128MB in my.ini and restarted MySQL. It did make the error go away however.

Quote Originally Posted by Taqua View Post
    Reports published with older versions of the tools will work as usual and will show up like any other XAction in the BI-Server (heck, thats because they are XActions).
    Yes.. the XActions show up but a few of our Reports don't work as they did in 2.0.
    Especially when Formulas with IF-Statements are used.

This smells like a good time to file a JIRA case. In theory, you should not have to touch your old reports, as upgrading should be as simply as letting your reports run in the new environment.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.