Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: subreport in subreport behaviour

Default subreport in subreport behaviour

Hi!
    I encounter a strange behaviour with subreports in subreports (PRD3.5) that I can reproduce but not explain. Maybe someone also had this issue before:

1) Make a Master-Report that contains a group that would repeat several times in with your result.
    2) Put a subreport in the group's footer. The subreport contains a detail-query on your group key. -> everything works fine so far
    3) Put another subreport into the first subreport's details-band -> now the group from the master report is only rendered once (first occurence, subreports for that one group render correctly).
    4) Now set the inner subreport visible=false -> all groups render ok again.

No error message is being shown. Any ideas? Can anyone reproduce this?

I was able to replicate the bug. PRD-2287
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

The issue has been resolved in TRUNK.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Very nice
    There is another issue regarding subreports and crosstabs that I came across:

I have a crosstab report that works ok. When I put that crosstab-report as a subreport into my master report it never works. I can also reproduce this with any subreport that contains a crosstab:

While rendering I get:
    Code:
    java.util.EmptyStackException
        at org.pentaho.reporting.libraries.base.util.FastStack.peek(FastStack.java:111)
        at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.states.crosstab.CrosstabProcessorFunction.groupFinished(CrosstabProcessorFunction.java:198)
        at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.states.SubLayoutProcess.fireGroupFinishedEvent(SubLayoutProcess.java:320)
        at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.states.SubLayoutProcess.fireReportEvent(SubLayoutProcess.java:213)
        at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.states.process.ProcessState.fireReportEvent(ProcessState.java:957)
        at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.states.process.EndGroupHandler.advance(EndGroupHandler.java:41)
        at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.states.process.ProcessState.advance(ProcessState.java:774)
        at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.output.AbstractReportProcessor.processPrepareLevels(AbstractReportProcessor.java:345)
        at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.output.AbstractReportProcessor.performStructuralPreprocessing(AbstractReportProcessor.java:497)
        at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.output.AbstractReportProcessor.prepareReportProcessing(AbstractReportProcessor.java:411)
        at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.modules.output.pageable.graphics.PrintReportProcessor.getNumberOfPages(PrintReportProcessor.java:77)
        at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.modules.gui.base.PreviewPane$RepaginationRunnable.run(PreviewPane.java:266)
        at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.util.Worker.run(Worker.java:174)
    I had to patch the CrosstabProcessorFunction to make those reports run:

There are 3 places like
    Code:
          if (processingStack == null)
          {
            return;
          }
    that had to be changed to

Code:
          if (processingStack == null || processingStack.isEmpty())
          {
            return;
          }
    I don't know if crosstabs are intended to be allowed in subreports or if this patch has other sideffects, but for my special case it works.

best regards,

mgie