Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probable fatal error: No fonts found

Exclamation Probable fatal error: No fonts found

Folks,

I think this is an important issue I would like to share and contribute by testing:

SCENARIO:
    =======
    I installed BI Server CE 3.5 Stable (newest stable version until this date) in two fresh new Ubuntu 9.04 Linux servers. Both servers have different hardware configurations:

Server 1: Pentium III 1.0Ghz 512MB RAM
    Server 2: Pentium IV Dual Core 1.6Ghz 3GB RAM

Both Linux servers have exactly same "default" OS settings (except by IP numbers) and Pentaho BI Server's settings. I've reinstalled everything after the problem and it still remains.

I can successfully publish reports on them using Pentaho Design Reporter 3.5.0-GA.10345 (newest stable version until this date) running in a WinXP Desktop.

On the Web interfaces of the Server 1 (512MB RAM), all reports work with all possible output formats: HTML, PDF, XLS, RTF and CSV. Amazing!

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
    =================

On the Web interface of the Server 2 (3GB RAM), the reports work PERFECTLY only with PDF.

With the RTF output formats it works but writing warnings in the pentaho.log such as: "WARN [org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.output.AbstractOutputProcessorMetaData] Unable to lookup the font family: Serif"

At last, when I use HTML, CSV and XLS output formats on the Server 2, the reports don't work and generate an long fatal exception stack trace, related no to be locating fonts, such this following:

(Before you read the stack trace and give up I would like to thank you for your patience and for any clue. Moderator: Fell free to short the stack trace)

2009-12-02 19:02:38,672 ERROR [org.pentaho.reporting.platform.plugin.SimpleReportingComponent] [execute] Component execution failed.
    java.lang.Error: Probable fatal error:No fonts found.
    at sun.font.FontManager.getDefaultPhysicalFont(FontManager.java:1088)
    at sun.font.FontManager.initialiseDeferredFont(FontManager.java:967)
    at sun.font.CompositeFont.doDeferredInitialisation(CompositeFont.java:254)
    at sun.font.CompositeFont.getSlotFont(CompositeFont.java:334)
    at sun.font.CompositeStrike.getStrikeForSlot(CompositeStrike.java:77)
    at sun.font.CompositeStrike.getFontMetrics(CompositeStrike.java:93)
    at sun.font.FontDesignMetrics.initMatrixAndMetrics(FontDesignMetrics.java:358)
    at sun.font.FontDesignMetrics.<init>(FontDesignMetrics.java:349)
    at sun.font.FontDesignMetrics.getMetrics(FontDesignMetrics.java:301)
    at sun.java2d.SunGraphics2D.getFontMetrics(SunGraphics2D.java:798)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.libraries.fonts.awt.AWTFontMetrics.<init>(AWTFontMetrics.java:107)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.libraries.fonts.awt.AWTFontMetricsFactory.createMetrics(AWTFontMetricsFactory.java:62)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.libraries.fonts.registry.DefaultFontStorage.getFontMetrics(DefaultFontStorage.java:77)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.output.AbstractOutputProcessorMetaData.getFontMetrics(AbstractOutputProcessorMetaData.java:702)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.output.AbstractOutputProcessorMetaData.getFontMetrics(AbstractOutputProcessorMetaData.java:814)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.text.DefaultRenderableTextFactory.createText(DefaultRenderableTextFactory.java:159)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.DefaultLayoutBuilder.processText(DefaultLayoutBuilder.java:628)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.DefaultLayoutBuilder.performRenderValue(DefaultLayoutBuilder.java:371)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.DefaultLayoutBuilder.add(DefaultLayoutBuilder.java:257)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.DefaultLayoutBuilder.performRenderValue(DefaultLayoutBuilder.java:371)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.DefaultLayoutBuilder.add(DefaultLayoutBuilder.java:257)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.SlottedLayoutBuilder.add(SlottedLayoutBuilder.java:96)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.AbstractRenderer.add(AbstractRenderer.java:780)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.output.DefaultOutputFunction.print(DefaultOutputFunction.java:1042)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.output.DefaultOutputFunction.updateHeaderArea(DefaultOutputFunction.java:663)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.output.DefaultOutputFunction.pageStarted(DefaultOutputFunction.java:570)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.states.InitialLayoutProcess.firePageStartedEvent(InitialLayoutProcess.java:319)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.states.InitialLayoutProcess.fireReportEvent(InitialLayoutProcess.java:175)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.states.SubLayoutProcess.fireReportEvent(SubLayoutProcess.java:257)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.states.process.ProcessState.firePageStartedEvent(ProcessState.java:961)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.output.DefaultOutputFunction.reportInitialized(DefaultOutputFunction.java:122)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.states.InitialLayoutProcess.fireReportInitializedEvent(InitialLayoutProcess.java:309)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.states.InitialLayoutProcess.fireReportEvent(InitialLayoutProcess.java:203)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.states.SubLayoutProcess.fireReportEvent(SubLayoutProcess.java:257)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.states.process.ProcessState.fireReportEvent(ProcessState.java:984)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.states.process.BeginReportHandler.advance(BeginReportHandler.java:54)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.states.process.ProcessState.advance(ProcessState.java:801)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.output.AbstractReportProcessor.processPaginationLevel(AbstractReportProcessor.java:642)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.output.AbstractReportProcessor.prepareReportProcessing(AbstractReportProcessor.java:442)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.engine.classic.core.layout.output.AbstractReportProcessor.processReport(AbstractReportProcessor.java:1212)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.platform.plugin.output.PageableHTMLOutput.generate(PageableHTMLOutput.java:86)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.platform.plugin.SimpleReportingComponent.execute(SimpleReportingComponent.java:639)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.platform.plugin.ReportContentGenerator.createContent(ReportContentGenerator.java:166)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SimpleContentGenerator.createContent(SimpleContentGenerator.java:66)
    at org.pentaho.platform.web.servlet.GenericServlet.doGet(GenericServlet.java:251)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:690)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)
    at org.springframework.security.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:378)
    at org.springframework.security.intercept.web.FilterSecurityInterceptor.invoke(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:109)
    at org.springframework.security.intercept.web.FilterSecurityInterceptor.doFilter(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:83)
    at org.springframework.security.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:390)
    at org.springframework.security.ui.ExceptionTranslationFilter.doFilterHttp(ExceptionTranslationFilter.java:101)
    at org.springframework.security.ui.SpringSecurityFilter.doFilter(SpringSecurityFilter.java:53)
    at org.springframework.security.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:390)
    at org.pentaho.platform.web.http.security.SecurityStartupFilter.doFilter(SecurityStartupFilter.java:85)
    at org.springframework.security.providers.anonymous.AnonymousProcessingFilter.doFilterHttp(AnonymousProcessingFilter.java:105)
    at org.springframework.security.ui.SpringSecurityFilter.doFilter(SpringSecurityFilter.java:53)
    at org.pentaho.platform.web.http.security.RequestParameterAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(RequestParameterAuthenticationFilter.java:169)
    at org.pentaho.platform.web.http.security.RequestParameterAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(RequestParameterAuthenticationFilter.java:169)
    at org.springframework.security.ui.basicauth.BasicProcessingFilter.doFilterHttp(BasicProcessingFilter.java:174)
    at org.springframework.security.ui.AbstractProcessingFilter.doFilterHttp(AbstractProcessingFilter.java:278)
    at org.springframework.security.ui.logout.LogoutFilter.doFilterHttp(LogoutFilter.java:89)
    at org.pentaho.platform.web.http.security.HttpSessionReuseDetectionFilter.doFilter(HttpSessionReuseDetectionFilter.java:134)
    at org.springframework.security.context.HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.doFilterHttp(HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.java:235)
    at org.springframework.security.wrapper.SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.doFilterHttp(SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.java:91)
    at org.springframework.security.util.FilterChainProxy.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:175)
    at org.springframework.security.util.FilterToBeanProxy.doFilter(FilterToBeanProxy.java:99)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:215)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)
    at org.pentaho.platform.web.http.filters.SystemStatusFilter.doFilter(SystemStatusFilter.java:60)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:215)
    at org.pentaho.platform.web.http.filters.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:113)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:174)
    at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:433)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:108)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:174)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:874)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:665)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:528)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:81)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:689)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)

Its your JDK that is complaining. We as Pentaho are not responsible for the com.sun code.

To me it looks as if your JDK installation is messed up *or* as if you run the bi-server without enabling the headless mode.
    (If you do not enable the headless mode, the JDK will try to use X11 libraries for the graphics and fonts stuff, and if they are not there, or no X11 is running or something else happens, then you get all kind of weird error messages. If you are very lucky, you get a clear one, but its probably more likely you win in the lottery than that this happens.)

What JDK are you using?
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Hi Taqua,

I'm sorry but what did you mean by "run bi server without enabling headless mode" ?

I am using the default Java 6 tha comes with Ubuntu Server 9.04 (java-6-openjdk). The amazing thing is that the EXACTLY SAME Pentaho Deployment is working fine in another machine with same OS/settings. A very weak machine (Pentium III 512MB RAM). As you said, it's a kind of lottery.

Which Java version should I use?

Could you also suggest new a good Linux Distro to deploy Pentaho 3.5 CE?

Thank you very much.

Searching for the bug it seems that there is a error in OpenJDK, the exactly same error seems to come up a lot (according to Google). Use the Sun-JDK, this is the JDK that is supported by us (or any other JDK that passes the Java standard compliance tests). (Ubuntu-Package: sun-java6-jdk)
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

I could but I won't try to install OpenJDK font packages as a tentative. I'm even not sure what is happening and prefer to follow the supported standard, so, I'm moving to Sun-JDK.

For those Debian/Ubuntu users: when I issued "apt-get remove openjdk-6-*" it automatically removed all OpenJDK related packages and suggested a installation of sun-java6-jdk, sun-java6-jre, sun-java6-bin, and son on. That was nice.

I'll test this new setup and give a feedback here.

Question OpenJDK

Any news? I'm having this same issue on OpenJDK. Can I fix it by using Sun-JDK?

Quote Originally Posted by mauricio View Post
    I could but I won't try to install OpenJDK font packages as a tentative. I'm even not sure what is happening and prefer to follow the supported standard, so, I'm moving to Sun-JDK.

For those Debian/Ubuntu users: when I issued "apt-get remove openjdk-6-*" it automatically removed all OpenJDK related packages and suggested a installation of sun-java6-jdk, sun-java6-jre, sun-java6-bin, and son on. That was nice.

I'll test this new setup and give a feedback here.

Yes, OpenJDK is still work in progress - even tho they progress fast.

Pentaho officially only supports the Sun JDK or any other JDK that passes the TCK (and thus is allowed to call itself Java). Being a Mac-User I haven't been able to test the OpenJDK for a long time, so I cant tell whether more recent builds will perform better.

OK, we are now running Sun-JDK and still getting the no fonts error. There are several fonts installed in the usr/share/fonts directory. We're also getting another (possibly related?) error: "Report validation failed."

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Taqua View Post
    Yes, OpenJDK is still work in progress - even tho they progress fast.

Pentaho officially only supports the Sun JDK or any other JDK that passes the TCK (and thus is allowed to call itself Java). Being a Mac-User I haven't been able to test the OpenJDK for a long time, so I cant tell whether more recent builds will perform better.

same problem here !

how did you get around yours ?

Thanks.

Please read about how to set the headless mode. If you dont like reading the Oracle documentation, read this one here:
    http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/...allationTomcat

You will have to edit your start-pentaho.sh file, and here add the "-Djava.awt.headless=true" property. The infocenter also has some documentation on it:
    http://infocenter.pentaho.com/help/i...ess_linux.html