Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: generate report using .xaction file or .xml file in java

Default generate report using .xaction file or .xml file in java

Hi,
    i am new to Pentaho. Though i have generated reporting using Pentaho and by publishing it i got the .xaction file and .xml file which contains the connection details and the structure respectively.
    Now after creating Reports in Pentaho i need to generate it through java code using these two files ie .xaction file and .xml file.

Anyone plz help me out

If you're starting out with Pentaho Reporting, then please do not use ancient versions. If you use anything other than 3.5, you will have to put a lot of manual work into your project to make it run, and I can promise you the experience will be rather unhappy.

Use Pentaho Reporting 3.5 and you do not have to deal with XActions, XML file or anything like that. PRPT reports can be run directly in Java with few lines of code. (Grab the SDK with the greatly documented examples from our sourceforge site ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/jfreereport ) and if you want to go deeper, buy the book "Pentaho Reporting 3.5 for Java Developers" and you get everything you'll ever want to know about the project.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Default Need help on generating Report for Pentaho reporting V 2.0.0

Quote Originally Posted by Taqua View Post
    If you're starting out with Pentaho Reporting, then please do not use ancient versions. If you use anything other than 3.5, you will have to put a lot of manual work into your project to make it run, and I can promise you the experience will be rather unhappy.

Use Pentaho Reporting 3.5 and you do not have to deal with XActions, XML file or anything like that. PRPT reports can be run directly in Java with few lines of code. (Grab the SDK with the greatly documented examples from our sourceforge site ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/jfreereport ) and if you want to go deeper, buy the book "Pentaho Reporting 3.5 for Java Developers" and you get everything you'll ever want to know about the project.
    Hi Taqua,

This is MSR again. Firstly, i thank you for suggesting me correct step for publishing my pentaho report (in new version).

But, a second issue is that one of our client is using a older version of pentaho 2.0.0. The reports are running fine. They wanted me to generate one extra report on a new table (say S3) which should be similar to existing report running using table (S1). The structure and the report output should be the same. Client is not yet ready to upgrade to the newer version of pentaho.....
    The following files are generated in the earlier report:
    1) AdhocPMCS. report file
    2) AdhocPMCS.Xaction file
    3) AdhocPMCS.XML file.

Could you suggest me the best way to proceed to make a new report similar in structure and format of the earlier one.....

How can i make use of the existing 3 files as mentioned above to create a new report with only data source change. What are the changes need to be done, if this option is feasible. This seems less manual labour i suppose!!!

Pl. enlighten me with your views on this...please

Thanks a lot,
    MSRaj