Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: PRD 3.5 - creation of SQL query for conditional null or non-null value

Default PRD 3.5 - creation of SQL query for conditional null or non-null value

Hi,
    I am using Reports Designer 3.5 and we are stuck up with generating SQL query where one of paramters depending upon some user action needs to be passed as 'null' ( IS NULL in db lanaguage). How could we do that?

Normal case:
    select x1, x2.. from table A where A.y1 = 'somevale';

Conditional case:
    select x1,x2.. from table A where A.y1 is null; //i can't pass A.y1 = null

The alternative solution would be creating of 2 reports handling each case but that wouldn't be not-so-elegant solution....

Any help?

Thanks,
    Manish

You could try some thing like the following:

select * from A where coalesce({value}, 'some weird value that cant happen and can represent null') = coalesce(A.y1, 'some weird value that cant happen and can represent null')

Don't know how well that would work on your db, but it seems to work ok on my postgres db

good luck

Wil
    SQL: as much of a standard as the English language

select * from A where coalesce({value}, 'some weird value that cant happen and can represent null') = coalesce(A.y1, 'some weird value that cant happen and can represent null')

This wouldn't work as when {value} is null, the where clause will be evaluated as
    "select * from A where null = A.y1" which is wrong...rather I want it to be evaluated as "select * from A where A.y1 is null".

OR, I am missing something here ????

Your missing some thing.

The coalesce functions pick the first non-null parameter as the return value, so in the first part if {value} is null it sets it to 'some weird value that cant happen and can represent null' The same thing happens on the A.y1 so that any nulls end up as the 'some weird value that cant happen and can represent null' as well and thus the = works because when its null you get

"where 'some weird value that cant happen and can represent null' = A.y1" (and if a.y1 happens to be null as well then it is converted to the 'some weird value that cant happen and can represent null' value)

Pick your own value to be 'some weird value that cant happen and can represent null' depending on your data types and possible values.

Good luck

Wil
    SQL: as much of a standard as the English language