Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Getting data out of Navision

Default Getting data out of Navision

Hello,

I am trying to get data out of a NAVISION database. Connecting through the ODBC driver systematically fails. I have tried to contact some German guys (PROCONIS) but they don't answer.

Did anyone succeed in this or is the only option to generate flat files from Navision on a regular basis?

Thanks for sharing...

Serge

Connecting through the ODBC driver systematically fails
    Do you have a specific error? Perhaps we can work around it.

Default Version, database?

Hi Serge,

are you using a pre-Microsoft version of Navision, i.e. one with the C/Side database or SQL Server? It sounds like C/Side which is indeed horrible. You probably want to make selections of some kind? Forget it. It's notoriously slow and unreliable. I worked a lot with Navision 2.x and early 3 releases; your best option is to retrieve data 1 on 1 without filtering into a staging file or table and work from there. Or use export files if you already have them.

Default Proconis and Nav-X - out of business

Hi Serge,
    This connector worked fine in previous Kettle releases. But we were not able to get the source code to migrate it to the Kettle V3 environment. Like mentioned earlier, I would also opt for the staging server.
    BTW: My favourite szenario and therefor a very good approach, the performance of your Navision server is not affected.
    Cheers,
    Alexander

Sorry I took so long to answer and thanks for your comments... (wrong config in my notification).

We do run a MS version of Navision (v4.0) but indeed use the C/Side DB. I managed to connect to the server via the generic ODBC but I get the following error:

Code:
    java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: Problem encountered getting information from the database: org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleDatabaseException: 
    Unable to retrieve database information because of an error
    [Simba][SimbaEngine ODBC Driver]Driver not capable.

at org.pentaho.di.ui.core.database.dialog.GetDatabaseInfoProgressDialog$1.run(GetDatabaseInfoProgressDialog.java:68)
    	at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:113)
    Caused by: org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleDatabaseException: 
    Unable to retrieve database information because of an error
    [Simba][SimbaEngine ODBC Driver]Driver not capable.

at org.pentaho.di.core.database.DatabaseMetaInformation.getData(DatabaseMetaInformation.java:349)
    	at org.pentaho.di.ui.core.database.dialog.GetDatabaseInfoProgressDialog$1.run(GetDatabaseInfoProgressDialog.java:64)
    	... 1 more
    Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: [Simba][SimbaEngine ODBC Driver]Driver not capable.
    	at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.createSQLException(Unknown Source)
    	at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.standardError(Unknown Source)
    	at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.SQLTables(Unknown Source)
    	at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDatabaseMetaData.getTables(Unknown Source)
    	at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDatabaseMetaData.getCatalogs(Unknown Source)
    	at org.pentaho.di.core.database.DatabaseMetaInformation.getData(DatabaseMetaInformation.java:182)
    	... 2 more

Any idea?

Thanks a lot,

Serge

Lightbulb NaviX the Navision Kettle Plugin: Migrated PDI 4 - beside bug fixing addt features

Hi Serge and everybody around here!
    We signed an agreement with Proconis for transferring the rights on the code to us.
    We have so far tested the new plugin with Navision 5/SP2 - olders were tested on demo data only - in two installations with databases from 10 to 500 GB.
    Worked fine, after fixing some issues regarding existing bugs and about the db cache.
    We added the feature to write to a Navision Table, so for archiving or populating data for budget/planning, that should work.
    Because we realized, it's not as easy (plug and play) as we thought, we can distribute it only with a support fee for every separate server.
    But we will deploy the source code as well.
    More infos from http://www.mybiq.com - OEbif the Open Enterprise bi framework with Palo, Pentaho and SpagoBI.
    Cheers,
    Alexander

Default hi

navision erp is not an opensource.how do you contact with procconis.what the cost of this plugin.

Quote Originally Posted by obernau View Post
    Hi Serge and everybody around here!
    We signed an agreement with Proconis for transferring the rights on the code to us.
    We have so far tested the new plugin with Navision 5/SP2 - olders were tested on demo data only - in two installations with databases from 10 to 500 GB.
    Worked fine, after fixing some issues regarding existing bugs and about the db cache.
    We added the feature to write to a Navision Table, so for archiving or populating data for budget/planning, that should work.
    Because we realized, it's not as easy (plug and play) as we thought, we can distribute it only with a support fee for every separate server.
    But we will deploy the source code as well.
    More infos from http://www.mybiq.com - OEbif the Open Enterprise bi framework with Palo, Pentaho and SpagoBI.
    Cheers,
    Alexander