Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: parameter in output report?

Default parameter in output report?

Hi everybody.
    I'm using Report Designer 3.5 and I added a drop down parameter into a report. I'm wondering if there's a way to have this drop down also in the output report.
    Regards,
    f.

Watching a streaming tutorial I found the answer: it's yes. There's nothing special to do, simply you have to publish the report.

Now I'm puzzled by another problem.
    Although the report seems to work perfectly in report designer, the published version doesn't work, in the tomcat console I see that an exception is thrown: "the parameters provided for this report are not valid".

Regards,
    f.

If you are using 3.5-GA, then the parameter validation and the parameter-UI do not always play nicely together (especially when you have Date-parameter).

The Date-Picker can only be used in conjunction with Date-parameters. (The parameter must be declared to be of type Date.) For numeric parameters, in 3.5-GA the subtype must match (ie comparing a BigInteger with a ordinary Integer will always yield "not equal").

To get around the parameter woes, it might be a lot easier to just upgrade to the M2 release (which, in a short period of time will become 3.5.2). In M2, the comparison rules are more relaxed (ie numbers and dates are compared only by their value, not by their object-type) and the parameter handling and the UI no longer disagree on how certain parameter definitions should be handled.

And above all: The server's parameter-UI now shows you why your report parameters do not work. Its a lot better than greping the log for errors. And for the tricky cases, the logging in the server is now more verbose, so that you should see exactly what went wrong without any extra guessing needed.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

I resolved the "the parameters provided for this report are not valid" error, by entering a Default Value when defining the parameter (I didn't know it is mandatory). Anyway the parameter I define is not a date, simply a number.

Now I'm facing another problem...
    No more exceptions but the report, when accessed by the user console, results in a blank page.

I surely would like to try the M2 release, only I cannot find where to download it from... any hint?

Regards,
    f.

Default Jfreereport

Fangi,
    A little sneaky, but on Sourceforge its not under the "Pentaho" project as you would expect, its under "jfreereport". I suspect when it is released GA then it will show up on in the pentaho project. In the meantime:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jfreereport/files/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/jfre...2.zip/download

Thank you very much for the links.
    Actually I had already find them, but I thought you talked about bi-server, not report designer.
    I'll give it a try and I let you know if I can solve anything.

Regards,
    f.

Eureka!
    The problem was with the type I assigned to the parameter. In the database is defined as a bigint and I previously set it to Number or Integer (the right choice is Long).
    Unfortunately when previewing inside Report Designer it worked right, and no message error was given when accessing from the user console.

Regards,
    f.