Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Newbie Question About Variables

Default Newbie Question About Variables

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm trying to figure out where to start with Pentaho. I am working on a project in which I need to create a report based on a specific ID that will need to be passed to a WHERE clause in SQL. Our platform is Javascript/PHP/MySQL.

I have googled and searched the forums until I'm blue in the face but haven't turned up anything that has given me a clear direction. I have attempted to create an xaction file to fetch info from a HTTP get variable to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Adam

Hi Adam

Welcome and Happy New Year.

I'm not sure how far you have progressed but you will need to download at least the Pentaho BI server and run that to get anyway meaningful with the Pentaho platform. Thereafter you can get your hands on the Pentaho tools like Pentaho Data Integrator (PDI/Kettle), Report Designer (PRD), and so on. These tools will help create solutions that you can deploy to the Pentaho platform.

You say you are using PHP/MySQL. The Pentaho BI platform comes installed with the Tomcat application server so you could use that to deploy solutions rather than use PHP/Apache. However, you will most probably have to use Java. (PHP is possible, but not as easily as pie). Having said that, using the platform, you can deploy entire solutions on the platform without having to do any heavy development. If you do want to use PHP, then you have the using web services to invoke Pentaho actions.

The download pages on sourceforge contains a "Getting Started" guide in PDF. I will suggest you try that for starters.

Crafter,

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. We have already installed the Pentaho platform and created test reporting, but our next step is to try to pass in variables. As I mentioned in the post above we are seeking more along the line of a direction for variable input. If HTTP GET isn't the best method we can certainly appreciate that. What we need to know is what is the best method of feeding information to Pentaho for us to use in the SQL queries and what is the best delivery method from the PHP/Javascript platform?

Thanks again,
    Adam

Hi Adam,

you can start xactions on BI Server with a call either to ViewAction or to ServiceAction, it depends on what are your need. That is good because you can interact with Bi Server using an http call that makes you platform independent.

Every xaction is made by a set of steps and each one has the ability to define a set of inputs and output that you can use to get variable from outside/inside or pass along variables between steps. You can use define a set of input based on how many parameter you have to pass to bi server to get that value you need from you request parameters.

I hope this help. Regards

Sergio

If you are working with PRPT files directly (Platform 3.5 or higher) then you can also invoke the report-viewer/reporting-content-generator directly from external web-applications via an URL.

@see
    http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/Repo...ParameterNames

For PHP, in my opinion, the only sensible solution is to run a J2EE servlet container next to your PHP server. Zend offers a PHP-to-Java bridge, but in my experience it does not scale as nicely as two separate servers (and you get some performance penalties when passing data back and forth).

Both the XAction and the Reporting-Plugin can generate a XML document that describes all parameter inputs that are needed. So you can either use XSLT or manual PHP code to create a parameter UI for them. With some URL-mapping tricks, you should also be able to use the Report-viewer (the built-in Parameter UI for the PRPT mode) from within your PHP application, as this one is a 100% pure client-side GWT application.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.