Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: DB connection problem with ad hoc queries.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default DB connection problem with ad hoc queries.

    Preface: I am running version 3.0 of the BI Server

    I needed to change the password for the database connection used by the User Console, and since then I have been unable to run ad hoc queries. Published reports still function correctly when invoked from the User Console. I took the following steps after the password was changed.

    1) I updated the Data Source password with the Admin Console.
    2) I updated the Data Source password in biserver-ce/pentaho-solutions/system/simple-jndi/jdbc.properties.
    3) After performing step 2, I refreshed the system settings via the Admin page of the User Console.

    What am I missing?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,013

    Default

    Does the log (tomcat/bin/pentaho.log) show anything interesting?
    (en) Path to Pentaho knowledge: (1:Search the Wiki > 2:Search the Forums > 3:Ask) or (1:Get a Subscription)
    (es) El camino al conocimiento en Pentaho: (1:Buscar en la Wiki > 2:Buscar en los Foros > 3:Preguntar) o (1:Comprar una Subscripción)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Yes, it says that the username/password for the datasource is invalid. Full text follows:

    InMemorySolutionConnectFactory.ERROR_0001 - Database connection could not be established to: null jdbc:oracle:thin:@[servername]:1521:[schema]
    java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Have you changed the penatho-solutions/system/metadata/[your-db].properties file?

    It seems to have a user name and password in there.

    Good luck

    Wil Selwood
    SQL: as much of a standard as the English language

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Yes, Will, that did indeed seem to be the problem. I had changed the password for the metadata model data source locally through the Metadata editor, but it apparently never made it back to the server. Thanks for the responses!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Marc,

    Ad-Hoc queries are made using metadata you previously defined using metadata editor and when you define a set of metadata you go through a connection definition. So you've to choices here:

    1) If you defined your metadata using a jdbc connection check the connection information you defined there using the metadata editor. Review it, re-publish to server, refresh metadata repository cache (through the tool menu in PUC) and you're done
    2) If you want to be safer before publishing the metadata to server change connection from using a jdbc native connection to using a datasource an set in there the datasource you previously defined through admin console. Aftere that re-publish to server, refresh metadata repository cache (through the tool menu in PUC) and you're done

    These are my 2 cents for this issue. I hope this helps

    Regards

    Sergio

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Privacy Policy | Legal Notices | Safe Harbor Privacy Policy

Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Hitachi Vantara Corporation. All Rights Reserved.