Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Can I store the principalName variable in a javascript variable

Question Can I store the principalName variable in a javascript variable

I am using pentaho version 2.0.0 stable with CDF. I generate SQL statements in my javascript that is part of my template.html

I pass these SQL statements as string parameters to xactions that use SQLLookups to populate the data for dashboard charts.

Is there a way within CDF that I can execute my xaction that retrieves the users name for the session (principalName) and have it stored in a javascript variable so that I can use it as part of the SQL statement string parameter that I build.

So I want to run an xaction from the template.html on startup and have the output stored in a javascript variable that I can refer to later.

Basically I need to add some SQL based on the principlaName to the WHERE clause portion of my generated SQL statement.

Example:
    Right now I have javascript in my template.html that does:

SQLStmnt = "SELECT SUM(Sales) FROM SalesTable " +
    "WHERE Customer = " + jsvarCust;

I want to do something like:

SQLStmnt = "SELECT SUM(Sales) FROM SalesTable " +
    "WHERE Customer = " + jsvarCust +
    " AND SalesPerson = " + jsvarPrincpalName;

jsvarPrincipalName would have the value of the security variable principalName (e.g. "joe")

Thanks

well, no. That's on the todo list, but currently there's no easy way. Usually we used mdx and roles for that; If you use a session var named 'role' it will be used when you do a mdx query.

apart from that, only if you build an xaction that puts that info in a resultset :S
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

Ok, I have an xaction that can put it in a result set. But...I am missing exactly what CDF object I would use that xaction with. I wouldn't want this user name displayed anywhere.

Sorry if this is a stupid questions but how would I execute the xaction and have its result stored in the javascript varibiable ?

I use roles for the JPivot interfaces I have but many of my dashboard charts are based on SQL queries.

Thanks