Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: User can change his password?

Default User can change his password?

Hi,
    I want to login to the puc as a user and have the possibility to change my password. Now I use the administrator console, so I would know if is possible from the user console to do this (with a jsp?) and the file that are involved and needs the change...
    Thanks a lot,
    Giuseppe

Hi Guiseppe,

there are various ways to achieve this kind of feature, assuming you use a DB-based security backend:

- Create a custom JSP-file with DB-connection, logic, HTML form etc.
    - Create a xaction that uses secure filter for prompting, some Javascript logic and the SQL execution component to update the user table...
    - Build a Pentaho Plugin (wich would probably be the nicest but also hardest way to do it)

I have not done any of these myself, but it should give you some ideas.

Regards,
    Ingo

Gius,

I remember seeing an option under the MantleSettings.properties file which is located inside the biserver-ce\tomcat\webapps\pentaho\WEB-INF\lib\mantle-3.5.2.jar file which has the following property:

Code:
    show-advanced-features=false
    After setting this to true I do remember seeing a User Preference option appearing under the File menu and something about passwords.

Not sure if it works but give it a go!

Prashant.
    Join ##Pentaho @ irc.freenode.net and start contributing!

My blog: http://www.prashantraju.com/
    One guide to rule them all: Pentaho BI Server 3.6.0 with Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle and PostgreSQL

Hi guys,
    thanks a lot for your reply!
    As Ingo suggested, I'm trying to switch to a DB-based security backend.
    In particular, I follow the Prashant's guide to configure the Pentaho BI Platform JDBC security to use a MySQL server. Now, I'm authenticated with the default user (Joe, Pat, Tiffany, Suzy) but not with a new user (Giuseppe) that I have added in the hibernate database with Admin role in Mysql. In fact, trying to login with Giuseppe's credential ends with this error : Access to the specified resource (Access is denied) has been forbidden.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Ps : Prashant,after setting show-advanced-features=true I see a User Preference option appearing under the File menu but when I click on User Preference nothing happens (in Explorer display an uncaught exception warning).
    Thanks for your help,
    Giuseppe

Hi,
    adding for the new user 'giuseppe' the group role 'Authenticated' (only 'Admin' is not enough) in the mysql hibernate db solve the problem 'access denied'.
    Another question related to this...
    Now in administration console I can view the user created in the database but I can't modify/add nothing (error updating user / error creating user).
    It's possible to use both solution, Admin console & INSERT INTO hibernate db? I have to configure some file for the administration-console?
    Thanks for your help,
    Giuseppe

Hello Guiseppe,

have a look at this blog...it describes what you need to do to run Pentaho 3.5 with a MySQL security. If all is configured correctly, it should be possible to use the Admin Console.

http://www.prashantraju.com/projects/pentaho/

Hi Ingo,
    thank you for your suggestion, but I have followed the guide you have suggested to me to set up all and I now have this problem.
    Any suggestion?
    Thanks a lot,
    Giuseppe

Sorry...I use Oracle and had no problems with the Admin console. Maybe someone else has MySQL experience. Try to ask on IRC ##pentaho

I'm trying to implement the second solution suggested by ingo.klose (Create a xaction that uses Prompt/Secure filter......) and I woul like to know: how can I do in a Prompt/Secure filter to show * (star) when the password is typed in a "text box"?
    Thank you

Don't think there is one by default. You probably want to have a look at the guide that's around here some where for adding date pickers to the secure filters. You can probably do some thing like that to add an option for password fields.

Good luck.

Wil
    SQL: as much of a standard as the English language