Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New JasperReports plugin project - Any Volunteers?

dmoran Guest

Post New JasperReports plugin project - Any Volunteers?

The current JasperReports component in the BI server is pretty old and has not been maintained (the same can be said if the BIRT one too.) For some reason, maintaining these component don't usually rise to the top of the Pentaho backlog.

For the SUGAR release, we are going to pull the current components out of the core and replace them with new plugins using the new BI Server plugin layer in the same way we do with the Pentaho Reporting plugin and CDF.

The plugins projects will be maintained in a new community SVN location and be maintained by the community.

The SVN project for JasperReports is:
    svn://source.pentaho.org/svnroot/pentaho-community-plugins/jasper-reporting-plugin/trunk

Gretchen created the JasperReports plugin project, and build scripts with dependencies on the current Jasper engine (3.7 I think) from their maven repos . She added fixes contributed by cristhiank, “Pluginized” the Jasper component and checked it into the new subversion project. It is not complete but it complies, deploys and runs a sample report. We are looking for community volunteer(s) to finish (or rewrite) and maintain. It would be great if someone would really jump in and add compelling features since I'm sure a lot has changed since the original component was written 4 years ago.

Contact me if you would like to take care of this and I'll get you SVN commit access.

To try it out:
    Check out the project and read the readme.txt file. After building, there is an ant task to install it into an existing BI Server so you can run it. Pretty easy really.

cristhiank was working on the plugin, I'm not sure if he is still involved - Cristhian? Thanks for your help and for getting us moving on this.

Doug

dmoran Guest

Please respond to this thread if you are interested in helping code or test the new JasperReports plugin. Also, let us know if there is any interest in using one.

an interest is really there.. as we are still relying on Jasper for crosstab reporting, which is not fully functional in pentaho... integrating jasperreports in our BI server would be great

Start testing....

I opened a thread here http://forums.pentaho.com/showthread...jasper.xaction
    I would glad to all that can help me to resolve this error.
    It's very important

Thanks a lot

Gabriele

Hello,

I would like to integrate jasperreports in our pentaho BI solution. So I am really interessted. I will start by following the steps in the readme.txt, but is there another guide I can follow to get up and running very quickly ?!

So how do I checkout the project. I am getting a 'forbidden' if I try to checkout.

EDITED: A proxy problem, the above issue is fixed
    Last edited by ObjectiveC; 04-27-2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: cannot checkout

I'm back to the jasper plugin development, and the plugin basic functions are now stable.. If you are interested on testing it or contributing you can grab the CI builds from http://ci.pentaho.com/job/jasper-reporting-plugin/ or http://ci.analytical-labs.com/jenkin...orting-plugin/
    And you can get the code from the trunk svn on the addres dmoran indicated.
    You can see a preview on my twitter http://twitter.com/cristhian_lopez/s...41321012150272 , I will be "twitting" news about the new features.

Regards,

CristhianK.

Very neat. I'll be testing this one. Thanks for the update cristhiank !

Hello everybody,
    is this project still alive?
    I have made a patch to the plugin that allow the output of the reports in the flash viewer provided in the latest jasperreports library samples.
    if you are interested in this new feature, I can submit the patch.

Quote Originally Posted by davide69 View Post
    Hello everybody,
    is this project still alive?
    I have made a patch to the plugin that allow the output of the reports in the flash viewer provided in the latest jasperreports library samples.
    if you are interested in this new feature, I can submit the patch.
    Hi guys I'm interested at this plugin. I'd like to know how it works and how can I install it on the actually BI Server 4.5 and jasper report 4.6.0.
    After reading this thread now I'm understanding why it doesn't work today and I lost a lot of hours unfortunately, without any result.

So Let me know how to get start and see how it works

Through the using of the plugin that is built-in I found a lot of problems http://forums.pentaho.com/showthread...lot-of-praying

Thank you very much
    Last edited by Kettle; 06-19-2012 at 05:27 AM.

I had to integrate some Jasper Reports into Pentaho solution (BI server 4.1). To test it I have installed CI builds from http://ci.pentaho.com/job/jasper-reporting-plugin/ . QuadrantLegacy.xjasper sample is working ok, but other samples not.

For example Quadrant4.0.xjasper is reporting error: "Oops looks like your xjasper definition file is invalid. Please check it and try again." and in Pentaho.log there are following lines:

2013-02-07 11:19:11,958 INFO [org.pentaho.platform.util.logging.Logger] misc-java.lang.Class: Loading Jasper Definition
    2013-02-07 11:19:11,958 INFO [org.pentaho.platform.util.logging.Logger] misc-java.lang.Class: Loading Jasper Definition
    2013-02-07 11:19:11,989 WARN [net.sf.jasperreports.engine.xml.JRBoxFactory] The 'topBorder' attribute is deprecated. Use the <pen> tag instead.
    2013-02-07 11:19:12,036 WARN [net.sf.jasperreports.engine.xml.JRBoxFactory] The 'rightBorderColor' attribute is deprecated. Use the <pen> tag instead.
    2013-02-07 11:19:12,083 ERROR [org.pentaho.platform.util.logging.Logger] misc-org.pentaho.plugins.reporting.jasperreports.gwt.server.JasperReportsServiceImpl: Jasper Sessions: 1
    2013-02-07 11:19:12,083 ERROR [org.pentaho.platform.util.logging.Logger] misc-org.pentaho.plugins.reporting.jasperreports.gwt.server.JasperReportsServiceImpl: Jasper Sessions: 1
    2013-02-07 11:19:12,114 INFO [org.pentaho.platform.util.logging.Logger] misc-java.lang.Class: Loading Jasper Definition
    2013-02-07 11:19:12,114 INFO [org.pentaho.platform.util.logging.Logger] misc-java.lang.Class: Loading Jasper Definition
    2013-02-07 11:19:12,130 WARN [net.sf.jasperreports.engine.xml.JRBoxFactory] The 'topBorder' attribute is deprecated. Use the <pen> tag instead.
    2013-02-07 11:19:12,192 WARN [net.sf.jasperreports.engine.xml.JRBoxFactory] The 'rightBorderColor' attribute is deprecated. Use the <pen> tag instead.
    2013-02-07 11:19:18,427 INFO [org.pentaho.platform.util.logging.Logger] misc-java.lang.Class: Loading Jasper Definition
    2013-02-07 11:19:18,427 INFO [org.pentaho.platform.util.logging.Logger] misc-java.lang.Class: Loading Jasper Definition
    2013-02-07 11:19:18,443 ERROR [org.apache.commons.digester.Digester] Parse Error at line 2 column 412: Document root element "jasperReport", must match DOCTYPE root "null".
    org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Document root element "jasperReport", must match DOCTYPE root "null".
    at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(Unknown Source)

Any clue what to do next?

Borut