Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Event driven job initiation

Default Event driven job initiation

Hi,
    I would like some advice on this -

We would like to start a job based on events received by it such as a web service call initiating a job/transformation. Right now, I can do this in a way such that the job runs in an interval and does some polling for a specific file/data to process. Is there a way we can do this in an existing plug-in, new plug-in or change in the Job->Start step that can be triggered through a web service or JMS event? What is the best way for PDI be run as a 'server' to accept incoming events from number of sources such as
    -Web service
    +like a HTTP Post done with some data will trigger a job to process that data contained in HTTP Post
    +Soap web service calls
    -JMS event
    +we could write a JMS plug-in but not sure how we can keep the job continuously alive listening to JMS messages to be received
    -Socket read
    -custom event handler

I have looked at some other threads related to always running jobs and such but did not find a clear solution on what is the best way to proceed.

Appreciate any ideas on this.

Vid

pdi-ce-4.4.0-stable
    Java 1.7 (64 bit)
    MySQL 5.6 (64 bit)
    Windows 7 (64 bit)

Thanks for the links. The discussion was very useful. I think the followup question I have is whether there is a way to pass "data" also which is a part of the event so the transformation can read the data also when it gets triggered. I know I might be asking too much here.

One thought was a HTTP POST with some <data rows> are sent remotely to a server, and a specific transformation is started and starts reading rows as input to specific step specified. So POST specifies
    <KTR/KJB> in a xml zipped together like remote execution with flag checked does AND
    <datarows> are also sent in POST that says use this data as input to this special step or standard step.

Thanks,
    Vid