Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: New BIRT plugin project: Any Volunteers?

dmoran Guest

Default New BIRT plugin project: Any Volunteers?

The current BIRT component in the BI server is pretty old and has not been maintained (the same can be said if the Jasper one too.) For some reason, maintaining these component don't usually rise to the top of the Pentaho backlog.

For the SUGAR release, we are going to pull the current components out of the core and replace them with new plugins using the new BI Server plugin layer in the same way we do with the Pentaho Reporting plugin and CDF.

The plugins projects will be maintained in a new community SVN location and be maintained by the community.

The SVN project for the new community components is:
    svn://source.pentaho.org/svnroot/pentaho-community-plugins

Please respond to this thread if you are interested in helping code or test the new BIRT plugin. Also, let us know if there is any interest in using one.

Has anyone taken this? I'd like to get more info and give it a shot, if I see I'm up to it.

Cheers!
    (en) Path to Pentaho knowledge: (1:Search the Wiki > 2:Search the Forums > 3:Ask) or (1:Get a Subscription)
    (es) El camino al conocimiento en Pentaho: (1:Buscar en la Wiki > 2:Buscar en los Foros > 3:Preguntar) o (1:Comprar una Subscripción)

dmoran Guest

Tomas,

I'll create the stub project this week and get back to you!

Thanks,
    Doug

I would like to help testing the developed engine with multiple BIRT-Reports, because we are using pentaho/birt since 2.0/2.3.1.

May be I could also help to implement some code if I would get some help...

Hi Doug,

I am interested in this approach ;-)

There are often problems with the last versions of BIRT (>=2.5.X)

see: http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=75732

I will follow this new plugin project

Doug,

I was looking for the plugin code in the repository location specified above in you first thread but the birt-reporting project is empty.
    Have you got any news about this topic?

Cheers

Sergio
    Follow Me on Twitter: sramazzina
    My Skype account: sramazzina
    My Blog
    View my profile on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/sramazzina
    Author of Pentaho Data Integration Kitchen How-To and Pentaho Business Analytics Cookbook

Join us on IRC server Freenode.net, channel ##pentaho ##saiku

Sergio,

I have written a very simple plugin that allows to run the BIRT report viewer within PUC (check here and here).
    This makes it very easy to throw in your desired BIRT version in the Pentaho server.
    It would be quite simple to include this as a replacement for the old plugin...

Regards,

Bart