Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Schema difference in Enterprise Repository and Kettle Database Repository

Default Schema difference in Enterprise Repository and Kettle Database Repository

Hi,
    We want to use Enterprise Repositroy.
    So can you help me understand what exactly is a diffrence between the Schemas in Enterprise repository and Kettle Repository ?

Can I direclty use Kettle Database Repository API for Publishing my JObs/Transformations into Enterprise repository ?

-Thanks
    Yogesh

The Enterprise repository supports version management, locking, fine-grained security, etc.
    However, the interface to all repositories is the same since the EE repository is a plugin.

See elsewhere on this forum on how to connect to a repository using the API.

Default DIS with Kettle Repository

Thanks, that is great that the interface to a repository is one and the same but each repository (File, Kettle (3.2) or Enterprise) is an implementation that can be plugged-in. So, two questions that pop up:

a) Can I write my own repository plug-in? So, I can store the transformations/job meta-data in another way than the 3 plug-ins?

b) If I don't use Enterprise repository, but have all my data in Kettle repository (3.2.x), and now upgrade to Pentaho 4.0, then can I still utilize the neat features like Data Integration Server (DIS), Scheduler and Pentaho Enterprise Console (all these are in 4.0) with the old Kettle repository. I realize I will loose out the user administration and version control, but we would like to do a phased approach of first upgrading the PDI, and then move the 100's of transformations from Kettle to Enterprise down the road.

Appreciate these insights.

Vid