Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: BI Server 3.5.2 on HPUX

Post BI Server 3.5.2 on HPUX

Hello everybody,

is there anybody who has some experience running BI Server on HPUX environment? I've got 3.0 running quite well, but 3.5.2 on the same machine thowing various errors.

Thanks, Martin.

Shouldn't be a problem.
    What errors do you get? 'Various errors' isn't very precise ;-)

Hi,
    I just wanted to see if there are some HPUX guys out there before posting all the traces.

Ok, in the meantime I tried another more or less similar configured machine and it seems to work. Actually I try to figure out the differences.

Anyhow it starts with an OutOfMemory at startup:

INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
    26.05.2010 09:33:02 org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
    INFO: JK: ajp13 listening on /0.0.0.0:8009
    java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:295)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:433)
    Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
    at java.lang.Thread.start0(Native Method)
    at java.lang.Thread.start(Thread.java:574)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.<init>(ThreadPool.java:648)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool.openThreads(ThreadPool.java:520)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool.start(ThreadPool.java:149)
    at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.init(ChannelSocket.java:436)
    at org.apache.jk.server.JkMain.start(JkMain.java:328)
    at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.start(JkCoyoteHandler.java:154)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.start(Connector.java:1090)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:457)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:700)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:552)
    ... 6 more

I can log in to the PUC an try to run the chart example of the Steel Weels examples but get only Widget.ERROR_001 on the screen.

If I try the Chart Pick List I get a NoClassDefFoundError

09:41:09,084 ERROR [ChartComponent] Error Start: Pentaho Pentaho Platform Engine Core 3.5.2.stable.41050
    09:41:09,089 ERROR [ChartComponent] 0c74af53-689a-11df-aca8-4f3c6bcb26d7:COMPONENT:context-30747724-1274859668763:ChartComponent_ChartTypes.xactionBase.ERROR_0002 - Fehler beim
    Ausführen der Komponente.
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
    at java.awt.Font.getFont2D(Font.java:351)
    at java.awt.Font.getFamily(Font.java:973)
    at java.awt.Font.getFamily_NoClientCode(Font.java:947)
    at java.awt.Font.getFamily(Font.java:939)
    at org.pentaho.platform.uifoundation.chart.JFreeChartEngine.getFont(JFreeChartEngine.java:1525)
    at org.pentaho.platform.uifoundation.chart.CategoryDatasetChartDefinition.setTitleFont(CategoryDatasetChartDefinition.java:449)
    at org.pentaho.platform.uifoundation.chart.CategoryDatasetChartDefinition.setChartAttributes(CategoryDatasetChartDefinition.java:307)
    at org.pentaho.platform.uifoundation.chart.CategoryDatasetChartDefinition.<init>(CategoryDatasetChartDefinition.java:207)
    at org.pentaho.platform.plugin.action.jfreechart.ChartComponent.executeAction(ChartComponent.java:371)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.ComponentBase.execute(ComponentBase.java:463)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext.executeComponent(RuntimeContext.java:1331)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext.executeAction(RuntimeContext.java:1298)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext.performActions(RuntimeContext.java:1216)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext.executeLoop(RuntimeContext.java:1165)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext.executeSequence(RuntimeContext.java:1045)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext.performActions(RuntimeContext.java:1207)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext.executeLoop(RuntimeContext.java:1165)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext.executeSequence(RuntimeContext.java:1045)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext.executeSequence(RuntimeContext.java:938)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine.executeInternal(SolutionEngine.java:413)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine.execute(SolutionEngine.java:316)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine.execute(SolutionEngine.java:192)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.BaseRequestHandler.handleActionRequest(BaseRequestHandler.java:159)
    at org.pentaho.platform.web.servlet.ViewAction.handleActionRequest(ViewAction.java:148)
    at org.pentaho.platform.web.servlet.ViewAction.doGet(ViewAction.java:275)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:690)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)
    at org.springframework.security.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:378)

Any ideas?

what java version are you using?

java version "1.5.0.11"

if you have a headless server, try adding '-Djava.awt.headless=true' to CATALINA_OPTS in start-pentaho.sh.

Sorry, no improvement.

All my investigations point to some misconfiguration or missing packages on the server I wanted to use. I tried now on two other machines and the system is running.
    For time reason I will switch to one of these servers and continue with the testing there.
    In parallel I will try to set up the environment of the problematic machine from scratch.

Thanks a lot for your help.