Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Managing users

Default Managing users

hi I'm new around here. I hope I am putting this in the right place.

I started working with Pentaho a few days ago and am still quite new with it. I've been playing around with a few things like changing the look of the PUC and I am currently working on changing Pentaho to suit our needs. I have been looking for quite some time now for instructions on customising and changing the interface of Pentaho but have been unsuccesful at finding comprehensive guidelines or documentation on how to do these things. Ive found some unofficial tutorials here and there and something on the wiki but it seems to be hard to find anything on the things I'm trying to do.

What I will be using Pentaho for is running it as a service for clients so what I need is being able to work with a lot of clients and these clients are all seperated from each other, having access to different services and items and really getting a whole different perspective of the system.

Now what I have seen in my short time with Pentaho is only the demo users in loginsettings.properties (joe, suzy, pat...). These users are also in the administrator console but I don't seem to be able to really change these users' vision of the system.

It might well be these things are really basic.. Like I said, I'm new with this

If I understand correctly you want to give different users different permissions on different documents.
    This is accomplished from the user console. Log in as administrator, right click on documents/folders, Share options.

thank you SCP for your reply

this is part of what I'm trying to do but I also need different users to have access to different functions. For example if I wanted the user Ted not to be able to create a new Dashboard, then that button would not appear when he logs in (or would be grayed out).

I've heard that the next major Pentaho release will have better user management but this is still supposed to be possible now right?