Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: AutocompleteBox, possibile to select items via JS?

Default AutocompleteBox, possibile to select items via JS?

Hello,
    is it possibile to select one or more items for an autocompletebox component using javascript?

Why, you might ask?
    Well, I store user's selections in cookies, and load them the next time he opens that page (so it is already configured like last time).
    I'm able to do this with selects, text boxes, etc.; I can store & load values for autocomplete boxes too, but they won't be shown (the user won't know which values, if any, are selected); I can even do some javascript innerHTML trick to print the selected values under the search box, just like they were just chosen from the component, but then removing or searching items won't work anymore.

Even a workaround would be ok, of course something like component.select("blahblah") would be better

Also, I'd like to know if there's a workaround to have case-insensitive search.

The answer is yes - cause I know we've done some similar thing. But that component is a nightmare, you need to look into the code. Unfortunately, there's no better autocomplete component available that allows multiple selection, so that's what we have to use.

For the case insensitive search.... convert everything to lowecase
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

Quote Originally Posted by pmalves View Post
    The answer is yes - cause I know we've done some similar thing. But that component is a nightmare, you need to look into the code. Unfortunately, there's no better autocomplete component available that allows multiple selection, so that's what we have to use.
    Ouch, where do I start from?

For the case insensitive search.... convert everything to lowecase
    Tried that, but I can't really change values since I have to pass them around.
    I even tried a query like
    SELECT value + '<span style="display:none">' + lower(value) + "</span>" etc.
    but guess what, it screws up HTML tags (also, if I searched e.g. "non" or "spa" or "sty", all records would be returned).