Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Pentaho BI-Server CE-3.5.0.RC2 and DB2 9.7 db2jcc4 drivers

Default Pentaho BI-Server CE-3.5.0.RC2 and DB2 9.7 db2jcc4 drivers

I am trying to get Pentaho BI-Server to work with DB2 Express-C 9.7.2 using the DB2 db2jcc4 driver on a Windows XP SP3 computer. Thanks to some of the previous posts here, I have the appropriate repositories created in db2 with the "hibern8" database using the UTF-8 codeset. I believe that I have the context.xml, db2.hibernate.cfg.xml, and applicationContext-spring-security-hibernate.properties configured correctly. I added the db2.hdm.xml file posted here to the hibernate folder inside the pentaho-bi-platform-repository-3.5.0.RC2.jar. I am not using c3p0 pooling.

If I put the db2cc.jar (JDBC Type 2) in the appropriate lib folders, I get the following error on startup:

2010-06-18 16:21:05,585 ERROR [org.pentaho.platform.plugin.action.sql.SQLLookupRule] 66f15a90-7b1f-11df-a706-81ac605dc50c:COMPONENT:context-14442880-1276896064616:global-department-list.xactionConnectFactory.ERROR_0001 - Database connection could not be established to: SampleData
    org.pentaho.platform.api.data.DatasourceServiceException: com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.SqlException: [jcc][10402][11146][3.59.81] Cannot convert Unicode string to Ebcdic string. ERRORCODE=-4220, SQLSTATE=null
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.connection.datasource.dbcp.PooledDatasourceHelper.setupPooledDataSource(PooledDatasourceHelper.java:147)

This error is generally related to situation using AIX or OS/xxx computers, not Windows.

If I remove the Type 2 driver and replace it with the db2jcc4.jar (Type 4 and earlier), I get the following on startup:
    2010-06-18 16:40:49,196 ERROR [org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader] Context initialization failed
    org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'filterChainProxy' defined in file [C:\PentahoDB2\biserver-ce\pentaho-solutions\system\applicationContext-spring-security.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'authenticationProcessingFilter' defined in file [C:\PentahoDB2\biserver-ce\pentaho-solutions\system\applicationContext-spring-security.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'authenticationManager' while setting bean property 'authenticationManager'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'authenticationManager' defined in file [C:\PentahoDB2\biserver-ce\pentaho-solutions\system\applicationContext-spring-security.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'daoAuthenticationProvider' while setting bean property 'providers' with key [0]; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'daoAuthenticationProvider' defined in file [C:\PentahoDB2\biserver-ce\pentaho-solutions\system\applicationContext-spring-security-hibernate.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'userDetailsService' while setting bean property 'userDetailsService'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'userDetailsService' defined in file [C:\PentahoDB2\biserver-ce\pentaho-solutions\system\applicationContext-spring-security-hibernate.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'userRoleDao' while setting bean property 'userRoleDao'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'userRoleDao' defined in file [C:\PentahoDB2\biserver-ce\pentaho-solutions\system\applicationContext-spring-security-hibernate.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'sessionFactory' while setting bean property 'sessionFactory'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'sessionFactory' defined in file [C:\PentahoDB2\biserver-ce\pentaho-solutions\system\applicationContext-spring-security-hibernate.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'dataSource' while setting bean property 'dataSource'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'dataSource' defined in file [C:\PentahoDB2\biserver-ce\pentaho-solutions\system\applicationContext-spring-security-hibernate.xml]: Error setting property values; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.PropertyBatchUpdateException; nested PropertyAccessExceptions (1) are:
    PropertyAccessException 1: org.springframework.beans.MethodInvocationException: Property 'driverClassName' threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1338)

This suggests to me that BI Server cannot correctly use the IBM db2jcc4 Type 4 driver and has trouble with the Type 2.

Has anyone gotten DB2 9.7.x to work with Pentaho BI-Server? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

H

UnsupportedClassVersionErrors come from using a Jar compiled for a newer JDK in a older one. As the platform runs with JDK 1.5, I suspect your driver is compiled for JDK 1.6.

Try to upgrade your JDK to JDK 1.6 and run the platform with that or get a driver jar that is compiled for JDK 1.5.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Thanks, Taqua. I copied the latest JRE file into the biserver-ce jre folder and restarted pentaho. The db2jcc4 driver now behaves the same as the db2jcc driver. This is progress, but I still have the problem with the Unicode to Ebcdic issue.

I recreated the hibernate, quartz, and bisample databases in DB2 but avoided using the UTF-8 codeset. This had been suggested on a DB2 forum. This did not work with either set of drivers.

So the question remains, has anyone gotten DB2 9.7 to work with Pentaho CE and if so, how?

H

Update...

I added URIEncoding="UTF-8" to Connector in the tomcat server.xml file. While this did not change the error messages on server start, the server will start and the sample applications do work. Apparently, the Unicode to Ebcdic issue only affect the creation of connection pools in DBCP.
    Last edited by FatherAntox; 06-21-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Default Yet another update

The 3.6.0 RC1 was available this morning so I downloaded it. I first checked that the 3.6 instance would work as shipped. I then made a copy for use with DB2. I made the same modifications and configuration changes that I made for the 3.5 version. The 3.5 version still works in spite of the Unicode to Edcdic errors but the 3.6 version chokes after I log into the sample data. The initial page and subsequent login dialog box appear, but in Opera, it hangs on the Loading User Console. In Firefox, the User Console displays but any selection causes a database error.

The battle rages...

H
    Last edited by FatherAntox; 06-21-2010 at 03:05 PM.