Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Suggestion for improvement of sparkline usability

Default Suggestion for improvement of sparkline usability

Hi,

Here's an idea - maybe it's rubbish, maybe not

How about allowing you to put sparklines into a group footer, and then you simply specify the field within the group, that is used to display the data.

That way; You dont need some way of concatenating your data either in the query or otherwise. Especially as concatenating data in queries is so non-standard - i.e. completely different in mysql to oracle etc.

Rgds,
    Dan

JIRA it!
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Done!

http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PRD-2759

(Not a crazy idea then )

There are no crazy ideas. Worst case scenario would be that it is requiring heavy refactorings - which moves its implementation up to one of the major versions (4.0 being the next one).

If *I* dont like a feature or think its insane, I usually make it configurable so that it is there and can be activated or deactivated as the user likes it. Cause just because I dont like it, that does not mean that much - I had been wrong before and hope to be wrong a million more times in the future
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Sounds like you could almost do this with a normal chart. Apart from the fact I have never found a way to get rid of the axis lines which makes the normal charts look a bit pants if you make them really really small.
    SQL: as much of a standard as the English language