Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: bi-server not starting after changing from hsql to mysql

Default bi-server not starting after changing from hsql to mysql

Hi Folks,

after quite some hours of fiddling, I feel the need to do a forum post.

I'm trying to set up the bi-server 3.6 ce on an ubuntu box with mysql.
    I followed this half official tutorial:
    https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0A...aHhwcmRk&hl=en

I could access the server via http://serverip:8080/pentaho/ before making the changes suggested in the guide.

After following the guide, is (when accessing http://serverip:8080/pentaho/:

Code:
    HTTP Status 404 - /pentaho/
    and the error I get (from catalina.log) is
    Code:
    WARNING: Security role name PENTAHO_ADMIN used in an <auth-constraint> without being defined in a <security-role>
    25.06.2010 16:28:31 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
    SEVERE: Error listenerStart
    25.06.2010 16:28:31 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
    SEVERE: Context [/pentaho] startup failed due to previous errors
    25.06.2010 16:28:31 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext processTlds
    SEVERE: Error reading tld listeners java.lang.NullPointerException
    java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.log4j.Category.isEnabledFor(Category.java:746)
        at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger.isTraceEnabled(Log4JLogger.java:333)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.TldConfig.tldScanResourcePaths(TldConfig.java:581)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.TldConfig.execute(TldConfig.java:282)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.processTlds(StandardContext.java:4307)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4144)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:760)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:740)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:544)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:926)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectories(HostConfig.java:889)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:492)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1149)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:311)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:120)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1022)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:736)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1014)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:443)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:448)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:700)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:552)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:295)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:433)
        at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger.isTraceEnabled(Log4JLogger.java:333)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.TldConfig.tldScanResourcePaths(TldConfig.java:581)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.processTlds(StandardContext.java:4307)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:760)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectories(HostConfig.java:889)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:120)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    Can someone point me in the right direction? Where is the best way to continue the debugging?

any hint is appreciated
    Last edited by performant; 06-25-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Post biserver 3.5 mysql configuration diffs

I know that you're working with version 3.6 and not 3.5 so this information might or might not help much... but I believe I ran across the message you're seeing while tweaking an install to work. Anyway I have been meaning to post the differences between a pristine unzip of BI server and the configuration as it ended up working. (I either missed something in Prashant's great tutorial or something else had to be changed in config.)

These were the notable file differences in the directories for a remote MySQL database connection on an internal IP...

Good Luck!

Jeremy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for your response.

I changed the ip addresses from localhost to the numeric one on the interface... sadly it didn't help.

Any other ideas?
    I had that exact error message on an other ubuntu box where I tried to install...so it's quite possible that I'm not the only one with this error...

I checked and I do still get that role warning when I start the server... so that's probably irrelevant.

I googled around a bit and it sounds like this error might be tied to some version issue with commons-logging - or with JDK/JRE version.

http://my.opera.com/PrafulShah/blog/2007/04/16/tomcat-5-5-20-severe-error-reading-tld-listeners-java-lang-nullpointerexc

http://blog.tremend.ro/2007/05/09/er...nterexception/

Given that biserver has its own JRE that should be fine with Tomcat, I would sniff around for anything foreign that has found its way into your CLASSPATH that might interfere. ??

Good luck,
    Jeremy

Thumbs up [solved]

Hi Folks,

good news here.

As jbeal said before, http://my.opera.com/PrafulShah/blog/...nullpointerexc
    tells you in the comment section to use the jdk-1.5

I decided to give it a try and set the JAVA_HOME to the jdk-1.5 path.

Now I was able to get more information out of the error logs, which gave me ACCESS DENIED errors for the hibuser on the hibernate and the pentaho_user on the quartz db.
    After adding the right hosts in mysql-admin and adding the right hosts to the /etc/hosts file, I was able to start the server.

Thanks for pointing to the right direction

You're welcome, glad you got your problem solved.