Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Reports are slower in Excel or HTML format

Default Reports are slower in Excel or HTML format

Hi,

I'm experimenting some big delays when a report surpasses a certain amount of rows.

Interesting thing is that it only happens when exporting to Excel or HTML formats, while it doesn't when exporting to PDF

For instance, around 6.000 rows, when exporting to Excel/HTML format, it takes around 30 seconds, while it takes around 10 seconds when exported to PDF.

I know it's more like a bulk export than a report, but still, it seems like a problem to me, since the processing time grows much more quicker depending on the format.

Is there any workaround for this?

Thanks in advance

Pentaho BI 3.5.2
    Report Designer 3.6.0

Upgrade to PRD-3.6.1 for the latest performance fixes.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

When you say upgrade PRD to 3.6.1, does that imply also an upgrade of BI server?

Because the same report generated on 3.6.1 instead of 3.6.0 is actually slower, both in PDF and Excel.

EDIT: I guess this is the answer to my last question... http://www.sherito.org/2010/06/how-t...to-latest.html
    Last edited by fnavarro; 07-09-2010 at 04:39 AM.

Tested with new Report Designer 3.6.1 and upgrading BI server libs to 3.6.1 too.

There is no significant difference. Only a few seconds faster. There is still a big difference between time consumed for producing a pdf and an excel report.

Has anyone any other suggestion on how to improve processing performance and narrow this difference between pdf and excel?

Thanks!

Can you provide more details on how your reports are made?
    What elements are you using, what is your row count etc., how many pages (PDF) are generated.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Report is not too complex regarding layout or functions. 30 columns approx, without formulas or functions in the Details band, only simple text/number/datefields.

I've attached a really simple report that reproduces the same behavior. 30 textfields in the details band, 10000 rows. Above 100 pages in PDF.

Processing time:
    PDF - ~ 20s
    HTML - ~ 45s
    Excel - ~ 1m 20s

Thanks for your help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Any further advice about this issue?