Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Recommendation on Job/workflow schedulers to use with PDI

Default Recommendation on Job/workflow schedulers to use with PDI

Folks,

I'm seeking recommendations on which enterprise scale job/workflow schedulers can be used with PDI. The scheduler included with PDI is basic (i.e lack of functionality to manage complex dependencies, event based scheduling etc). I'm currently assessing Control-M, Tivoli Workflow Scheduler, Orsyp Dollar Express and Job Scheduler from SourceForge. I'd really like to settle on a functional low cost/open source scheduler, and want to avoid custom build with Cron.

I'm keen to hear the experiences of those who have implemented PDI regarding which schedulers you've used, with good functionality, rich GUI to design and monitor, and an attractive price point. Also, any idea if Quartz can be used in conjunction with PDI?

Probably one of the answers you will get is that the Pentaho BI Server/Enterprise BI Server has scheduling w/ a user interface that can be used to schedule PDI jobs.

I've been playing with the concept of putting scheduler in with the Carte server itself, so the scheduler was specific to PDI, but haven't been able to put anywhere enough time towards that approach.