Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Can we use multiple database connections in a single step?

Question Can we use multiple database connections in a single step?

Is there a way to use multiple database connections in a single step?

For example, if we have a query like
    SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT S_ID) FROM STUDENT WHERE S_ID NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT T_ID FROM TEACHER)
    Suppose, STUDENT and TEACHER are tables from different databases, Can we write a query using both tables in a single (table input) step?
    (As the table input step takes only one db connection, I am wondering if there is a way)

Thanks,
    Om

The answer is no, (mostly)

It might work if your DB system supports mixing schemas/db_names and you classify the table names with the schemas/db_names. I vaguely remember that something like that was supported by Postgres or MySQL...

This obviously works only if both DBs are hosted by the same Server/Instance...

The query would be rewritten to

SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT S_ID) FROM DBNAME1.STUDENT WHERE S_ID NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT T_ID FROM DBNAME2.TEACHER)

Cheers

Slawo
    Last edited by slawomir.chodnicki; 07-14-2010 at 03:05 PM.

I don't think you can do this but a workaround would be to have this within a view or stored procedure inside one of your database and simply call that view/stored procedure from PDI; that would work.

no, you can't do that.

One way for doing this is with a Table Input for getting the s_id from Student. Then, a database lookup for looking up the ids in Teacher (using a different connection).
    then a filter for keeping the ids of interest,
    etc.

I guess it depends on the database you're using. I know that with MySQL and Microsoft SQL Server you can do this within a view without any problem so performing a SELECT * FROM YOURVIEW would actually return what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by CHamel View Post
    I guess it depends on the database you're using. I know that with MySQL and Microsoft SQL Server you can do this within a view without any problem so performing a SELECT * FROM YOURVIEW would actually return what you're looking for.
    We are currently using DB2.

Hmmm, you would have to try, not sure about this one.

Otherwise, Maria's solution is the way to go.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by CHamel View Post
    Hmmm, you would have to try, not sure about this one.

Otherwise, Maria's solution is the way to go.
    Thanks Chris & Maria
    Yep, the alternate, as mentioned by Maria would be using different step for each connection.

I am a newbie and am not sure if many people go through this kind of scenario. But, if so, may be adding a feature where we could use more than one connection in a step, would help the transformation from not turning out into a complex one.

Hi there,

well, I guess you are expecting too much here. The input step executes SQL against your DB. If your DB cannot handle cross db/schema selects, you're out of luck on this one. I cannot think of any sane way to implement this. If you often find that you'd like to reference data from different DBs within a single SQL query you should redesign your DB or bring the data together in a single DB first. That's what Kettle is good for

Cheers

Slawo

This is a common scenario when you build a DW, You may need to pull data from multiple heterogeneous data sources. The normal way to go about this situation is to use a look up or use a Join. PDI Comes with different type of Join and LookUp steps. You need to decide which step suits you the best

~JC
    www.di-solution.com

Thanks Slawomir,JC