Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: How to see variables list in Mac OS X? Ctrl-space doesn't work

Cool How to see variables list in Mac OS X? Ctrl-space doesn't work

Hi
    I've been using PDI on a Mac and I can't figure out how to access the variables list drop-down (normally Ctrl-Space on windows/linux). I've tried all the key combinations I can think of, but still can't figure it out.

Is there another way to access the PDI variables list other than the ctrl-space keystroke combination?

TIA

Tony

It should work. Ctrl-Space or Command-Space.
    I don't know of another key combination for doing that,
    Try changing the keyboard config. Maybe you have that combination assigned to another action,

Thanks Maria. I have disabled the Ctrl-space and command-space shortcuts for Expose and Spotlight, but neither of these keyboard shortcuts work (nor any other combinations with the function or option key either). I get an O/S beep when I type the keys so it is recognising them but not binding them to the right keys in PDI.
    So without this shortcut, it is not possible to see the variables list as far as I can see.
    Any other mac users able to access the variables list?

Hi there,

I suppose you are using 4.0. The problem seems to be related to the cocoa version of the swt library, which is used in the 64bit launcher. For the 32 bit version Kettle seems to be using the Carbon swt that was already used in 3.2.

If you start the 32 bit version you should see the variables.

Cheers

Slawo

Slawo - yes you are right - thanks! In the 32-bit version the control-space keyboard shortcut works fine. I also had the same keyboard problem with 4.1.0 from CVS kettle/trunk but setting the VM option -d32 let me compile the 32-bit version with the OS X carbon SWT library in /libswt/.
    Thanks again!

1 year later, this problem appears to persist. Is there any way to get at the variables list other than running in 32 bit mode?

Some time ago, I had patched Kettle 4.x to accept Cmd+Shift+Space on Mac OS as the trigger key. Works for me

Cheers

Slawo
    Last edited by slawomir.chodnicki; 05-13-2011 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Corrected shortcut :)

thanks.

I have the same issue. But for me, using 32bit-Version does not solve the problem. (When clicking Ctrl+Space in 64bit-version I get an OS-bump sound. When clicking Ctrl+Space in 32bit-version, it will enter a whitespace, as when hitting spacebar.)

Is there any workaround? Can I enter the variablenames manually?
    Or can I edit the *.ktr-file manually with a texteditor. What should I enter there?
    Thanks for any help.

Of-course you can enter the variables manually.
    I know for a fact many OSX users and not all of them are lazy you know ;-)

I use the 64 bits in osx and cmd-space works for me after reassigning the spotlight shortcut
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

Ah, that could be it. I had to rename a few default shortcuts in KDE as well to use Eclipse the way it was intended.

Quote Originally Posted by ybi View Post
    I have the same issue. But for me, using 32bit-Version does not solve the problem. (When clicking Ctrl+Space in 64bit-version I get an OS-bump sound. When clicking Ctrl+Space in 32bit-version, it will enter a whitespace, as when hitting spacebar.)

Is there any workaround?
    It's been a while since I've played in the UI in OS X, but I think it is maybe command-space rather than ctl-space on OS X. But the 32-bit only thing still applies.

Thank you for all your replies. I didn't realize what syntax I have to use for accessing the variables. Here, for all others having the same problem: It's ${varname} on Unix and %%varname%% on Windows. Cf. http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/COM/...bles+in+Kettle

If you intend to use a couple of variables as your configuration for more than one job, the following transformation might be useful: http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/...e+as+variables

Quote Originally Posted by ybi View Post

Is there any workaround? Can I enter the variablenames manually?
    Or can I edit the *.ktr-file manually with a texteditor. What should I enter there?
    Thanks for any help.
    I´m in the same situation. Nothing works for me. I hope that to put the variable names manually works. I a new PDI user, so I have many doubts how thinks works...

I put manually the variable manually and it works. Uf! :-)

I used the keys: CTRL + CMD + SPACE no mac and finally appear the variable list!
    Last edited by Val_Qc; 02-28-2014 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattCasters View Post
    Of-course you can enter the variables manually.
    I know for a fact many OSX users and not all of them are lazy you know ;-)
    If only I was able to type ${Internal.Transformation.Fielname.Directory} everytime without typos. Wait, there it goes again. Bloody typos...
    Any definitive solution for this as of now? I can't get a single shortcut to work and I kind of like Cmd+space for the spotlight.

I use 5.0.1-stable (build date 2013-11-15_16-08-58) on OSX 10.9 and command-shift-space works for me. Shift-command-space also works. They're probably the same thing.

Sorry, we expected this to "just work" but...

@Slawo (wherever you are these days ...): Thanks! SHIFT + CMD + Space works fine for me in PDI 4.4. What a time saver!
    Best regards,
    Diethard
    ===============
    Visit my Pentaho blog which offers some tutorials mainly on Kettle, Report Designer and Mondrian
    ===============