Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Disabling the Processing/Busy gif

Question Disabling the Processing/Busy gif

I have about twenty input components and one execute button in a dashboard. Is there a way to disable the Processing/Busy gif while users are selecting values from the components? I just need to enable the gif when the user click the execute button.

mlui,

Are you using autocomplete boxes? The busy icon is displayed only with that type of input component.

The busy indicator is called whenever we've an interaction between the Dashboard and the server through Ajax. You can have such a behavior as soon as the fireChangeEvent is fired or the Dashboard.processChange method is called.

If you use Autocomplete input component the processChange method is called very often because the component interacts with the server to get all the possible values based on the user input and in that case you have the busy icon showing. There isn't any option to disable that icon to appear, I'm sorry.

If you use TextInputComponent the busy icon isn't displayed because you never have server interaction while the user is filling the text box.

Regards
    S.
    Follow Me on Twitter: sramazzina
    My Skype account: sramazzina
    My Blog
    View my profile on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/sramazzina
    Author of Pentaho Data Integration Kitchen How-To and Pentaho Business Analytics Cookbook

Join us on IRC server Freenode.net, channel ##pentaho ##saiku

Most of the components are of the selectMultiComponent type. Whenever an option is selected, the "Processing" icon is displayed. There is absolutely no way of disabling this behavior at all? Either globally or individual component?

Hi,

Yes, there´s a way. Just edit pentaho-solutions/system/pentaho-cdf/js/Dashboards.js and comment the following calls:

Dashboards.showProgressIndicator();

Dashboards.hideProgressIndicator();

This is the quick way, but for sure you can adjust the behaviour better with some logic (for example using a switch to enable/disable the progress indicator when needed). I prefer to avoid using the progress indicator for a better user experience (IMHO).

... of course you can do anything by customizing the code . Remember about that change when you'll update the framework or the platform version sooner or later. But without customizing the code you can't do what you want.
    In case you update the code remember to inhibit the user interaction in any case where the busy icon were previously displayed.

S.
    Last edited by sramazzina; 07-21-2010 at 04:48 AM.
    Follow Me on Twitter: sramazzina
    My Skype account: sramazzina
    My Blog
    View my profile on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/sramazzina
    Author of Pentaho Data Integration Kitchen How-To and Pentaho Business Analytics Cookbook

Join us on IRC server Freenode.net, channel ##pentaho ##saiku