Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Clarification about the "Execute once for every input row" flag

Default Clarification about the "Execute once for every input row" flag

Hi everybody,

I'm here to ask someone any help about how that flag works. This is my simple scenario. I've a job with two simple steps:

a) The first step add filenames to result
    b) The following step starts a transformation. The idea is to start this transformation once for each of the filenames added to result. For this to happen I checked the "Execute once for every input row" flag in the transformation step.

Everything seemed fine till this point.

I'm going to summarize below my expectations asking for someone that helps me in understanding if I'm wrong with my assumptions or not.

With the "Execute once for every input row" flag set in the start transformation job step I was expecting that:
    a) My transformation will start once for each filename in the result list get from the previous step result (the add filenames to result).
    b) The started transformation receives in input, using the "Get filenames from result" transformation step, that single filename we're processing.
    3) The start process is sequential (and not parallel).

Am I right with this assumptions?

Trying to fill my curiosity before asking here I get kettle sources and I had a look at the JobEntryTrans class in the execute method (I supposed it was the right one). Following the flow of the code I've not found any implementation of this looping behavior given by setting the "Execute once for every input row" flag. Am I missing something? Is that a feature that needs to be completed?

Thanks for the clarifications someone will kindly gives to me.

S.
    Follow Me on Twitter: sramazzina
    My Skype account: sramazzina
    My Blog
    View my profile on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/sramazzina
    Author of Pentaho Data Integration Kitchen How-To and Pentaho Business Analytics Cookbook

Join us on IRC server Freenode.net, channel ##pentaho ##saiku

I analized better the code and understood the missing pieces. Sorry for my question.
    Follow Me on Twitter: sramazzina
    My Skype account: sramazzina
    My Blog
    View my profile on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/sramazzina
    Author of Pentaho Data Integration Kitchen How-To and Pentaho Business Analytics Cookbook

Join us on IRC server Freenode.net, channel ##pentaho ##saiku