Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Prepare datepicker parameter for mdx query?

Default Prepare datepicker parameter for mdx query?

Hi!
    Today I encountered a pretty tough problem while trying to create a parameterized Olap-Report in PRD 3.6

In my mdx query I need to filter on a date range like:

Code:
    With
    Set [TimeLimit] as '{([time].[Year].[2009] : [time].[Year].[2010])}'
    Where ([TimeLimit])
    I need to get the daterange from two datepickers. I was able to convert the date to a mondrian member string using a post-processing formula like described here
    http://diethardsteiner.blogspot.com/...ho-report.html

Now the hard part:
    - When using the range expression in mdx I get an empty result if the higher or lower bound are not in the data.
    - I don't know the minimum and maximum date as the date dimension in my
    cube is calculated from a timestamp "on the fly" (I know this gives bad performance but I can't change the database design)

Is it possible to fetch the minimum and maximum date in a query first and then use this in the post-processing formula to see if it is higher/lower than
    what the user entered? How could I reference this value in the post-processing formula? Anybody done something like that before?

best regards,

mgie

Timestamp is good - just make a SELECT MAX(timestampcol) FROM dimension_table and then convert it into a java-date and compute a year from it. (This should not be expensive if you have a index on that column.)

Then you can use a formula or other expression to select either your date or your parameter input.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Taqua View Post
    Then you can use a formula or other expression to select either your date or your parameter input.
    This seems to be the point I am missing. I tried to decide that "inside" the parameter using post-processing formula. But it looks like the result of the query that is attached to the parameter is not accessible in the post-processing formula.
    So I could just use a regular formula expression and use that in the query like an input parameter? I thought the formula expressions were evaluated after the query execution. And how would that SELECT MAX... be executed before the olap query? I could only think of putting the olap query into a subreport.
    Last edited by mgie; 07-21-2010 at 08:32 AM.

seems like this post
    http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=75654
    means that it is not possible at the moment to use a value from a "pre-query" in other paramaters that go into the "main-query"... or am I wrong (hopefully)?