Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Java-Script with dialog on OSX

Default Java-Script with dialog on OSX

Hi guys,

Has someone managed to get the sample transformation "Java-Script with dialog" running on Mac OSX?
    Or is someone aware of any other options to run run a GUI from within a transfromation?

Thanks,

Andre

Hi there,

I don't seem able to find the sample you are referring to. Where would I find it? And what exactly are you trying to achieve? You can do all sorts of crazy things with the JS Step and the UDJC step :-)

Cheers

Slawo

Quote Originally Posted by slawomir.chodnicki View Post
    Hi there,

I don't seem able to find the sample you are referring to. Where would I find it? And what exactly are you trying to achieve? You can do all sorts of crazy things with the JS Step and the UDJC step :-)

Cheers

Slawo
    I think he means this one:
    "samples/transformations/JavaScript - dialog.ktr"
    I think the exception it raises on OS X relates to a limitation with the SWT library on OS X.

snik - Can you tell us why you need a GUI in a transformation? A running transformation works on many rows at the same time, so it's not really a sequential or event-driven environment suited to interruption by a GUI. I think that sample was a proof of concept to illustrate the power of the javascript step more than anything else.

If you want to prompt for user input, have you considered using parameters in your transformation? You could use "Pan" to launch the transformation using the parameters you can supply on the command line. Then you could create a gui in your language of choice which runs the transformation with the parameters. For your GUI, maybe use Applescript on OS X?

If you really need gui prompts within your transformation, maybe something gui related could be done with the User Defined Java Class...

Default Thanks

Hi,

Yes, I was refering to "samples/transformations/JavaScript - dialog.ktr".
    Thanks for your comments, it's propbably easier to write a little native Java GUI to collect the starting values and to run the transformation from within the application. I will have a look at the wiki later to find some sample code to run a transformation and a job from within my Java code.

Thanks for your replies.

Snik