Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: CDA Issues

Default CDA Issues

I am having some issues with CDA 1.0 in Pentaho 3.6.0 GA EE. After installing CDA when I log into the user console the Pentaho log gets some errors:

2010-07-30 15:01:10,913 ERROR [org.pentaho.platform.web.servlet.GenericServlet] GenericServlet.ERROR_0002 - Could not get content generator: null
    java.lang.NullPointerException

2010-07-30 15:01:10,913 ERROR [org.pentaho.platform.web.servlet.GenericServlet] GenericServlet.ERROR_0002 - Could not get content generator: null

2010-07-30 15:01:11,096 ERROR [org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/pentaho].[GenericServlet]] Servlet.service() for servlet GenericServlet threw exception

I run the CDA samples included and they work but when I try to run one of my own for an mdx query I get some errors:

2010-07-30 15:07:41,378 ERROR [org.pentaho.platform.web.servlet.GenericServlet] GenericServlet.ERROR_0004 - Resource /cda/previewer/languages/Messages_en_US.properties not found in plugin Pentaho Community Data Access
    2010-07-30 15:07:41,378 ERROR [org.pentaho.platform.web.servlet.GenericServlet] GenericServlet.ERROR_0004 - Resource /cda/previewer/languages/Messages_en_US.properties not found in plugin Pentaho Community Data Access
    2010-07-30 15:07:41,407 ERROR [org.pentaho.platform.web.servlet.GenericServlet] GenericServlet.ERROR_0004 - Resource /cda/previewer/dataTables/languages/Messages_en_US.txt not found in plugin Pentaho Community Data Access
    2010-07-30 15:07:41,407 ERROR [org.pentaho.platform.web.servlet.GenericServlet] GenericServlet.ERROR_0004 - Resource /cda/previewer/dataTables/languages/Messages_en_US.txt not found in plugin Pentaho Community Data Access
    2010-07-30 15:07:45,316 ERROR [pt.webdetails.cda.CdaContentGenerator] Failed to execute: [ java.lang.NullPointerException ] - null

Everything in my cda file looks to be configured correctly and the MDX query is valid. I can get a sql query to run in cda, just not mdx. Any ideas on what the error is how to fix it?

cda isn't very good in terms of error reporting - mostly cause the libs it uses don't expose it a lot.

Please confirm that you got your connection right and the query is correct
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

My connections are correct. I have tried both the jdbc and jndi mdx connections but neither works. My query is also correct, I used a query that I took from an existing dashboard.

My cda file is in the same directory as my catalog file so that should not be an issue and my cube name is correct. I am not sure what else I need to check.

the samples can be used for that. I assume they work for you, so change the existing ones from the sample connection to yours.

fwiw, we use/abuse it and works as expected
    Pedro Alves

I installed the 3.5.2 version and while I get a bunch of errors at start-up and while running the CDA file it does work. The exact same file in the 3.6.0 version does nothing.

I have tried to reduce the potential number of errors by using your sample files as a template, using a very simple query, and having the CDA and mondrian cube file in the same directory. I am still having no luck. I will do some additional testing and try a new install of Pentaho in-case there is some issue with some other work I was doing.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking out for? Are the any java compatibility issues to be aware of or any additional configuration required, besides what the installer does?

I can't say what 's happening. If you could reproduce it with sampledata or steelwheels would be great.

Otherwise, only suggestion that comes to mind is attaching a debugger to cda source and see what/where the error is
    Pedro Alves

I just updated system\olap\datasources.xml in my 3.6.0 system to include the connection information for my cube and it is now working. I don't remember seeing this as a requirement anywhere, I thought it was just required for the new analyzer plug-in for EE, but I decided to give it a try.

Oh! I think I know what it is - and it's unrelated to cda

And you just reminded me that I need to file a bug to pentaho
    Pedro Alves