Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Can I disable one parameter prompt based on the value of another?

Default Can I disable one parameter prompt based on the value of another?

I have a report that allows users to enter a date range at run time like '2010/01/01' through '2010/08/03'.

I would like the same report to be able to be scheduled to run on the first of the month, returning the data from the previous month.

I could have radio buttons for "previous month" and "date range" and then additional date picker inputs for the date range. I would like there to be some visual indication that if the user chooses "previous month" then the date pickers will be ignored.

Without writing my own custom prompt page, is it possible to make a PRD parameter prompt disabled (or hidden completely) depending on the choice of another parameter? If not, I think this would be a useful feature.

Lightbulb

I have worked around this using some hidden parameters, default value formulas, and post processing formulas. It's not exactly what I had in mind, but it works. If somebody else has a better solution, please share.

I really appreciate being able to cut and past parameters from one report to another. I can use this sample report as a starting place for many more.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Parameters are copy/pasteable - just make sure that you have the parameters node selected when you insert them.

For making parameters hidden/disabled by a condition - its a sane and reasonable request. Can you file a JIRA case for it so that we can take this on our list for the planing sessions.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Copying/pasting parameters is a great feature. It will be handy in many situations.

I'll log the JIRA request.

Note: The copy-paste feature only work if the reports are open in the same application (if you have 2 or more Report's opened, the copy-paste wont work)

Copy and Paste should work across application instances. Can you file a bug report in our JIRA system for it? Please specify what version of Java you use and what operating system you have. You can find this information within PRD in the Help->System Information dialog.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.