Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Exception reading line using NIO

Default Exception reading line using NIO

I need a simple transformation to read a text file containing variable length strings and write them as-is to a single column in a table. I used the "CSV file input" step for this. I defined no delimiter character or enclosure as there is only one string ending with <LF>. I set Lazy conversion and defined only a single field called C_DATA as type string.

When I tested this initially nothing happened, it just sat there processing that one step. So I stopped it and added a dummy delimiter string of $[FF]. This time it ran. So it looks like that step must have a delimiter defined - even when not needed.

I develop the transformation in Windows, but the production environment is Unix. So I changed my Windows text file name and path to the Unix name and path and called the transformation using pan.sh and I received the error message "Exception reading line using NIO". I tried un-checking the Lazy conversion, but still got the same message. I then changed the delimiter from $[FF] to a dummy string of |~|~|~|~| - something that shouldn't occur in the data - and this time it worked!

Does anyone know if I'm doing something wrong? Does the CSV input require a delimiter even when not needed? Am I using the correct step? What does the NIO exception mean?

Thanks.

Dave

The CSV Input step requires a one character delimiter to be set, but you could just leave the default comma in there, or maybe use some other obscure character that doesn't occur in your data.

So basically we're reading a file that is not a CSV file.
    Try to modify the sample "General - Load images and store into database table.ktr".
    If you are certain about the text file encoding, say UTF-8, you can create a string from the byte[].

Alternatively, you can use step "Load file content into memory" in Kettle v4.0 of later.