Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: basics of pentaho

Hi,
    I am taking my first steps in Pentaho and Pentaho Data Integration (hereafter, PDI) and I already have some basic questions:
    1) I was under the impression I downloaded the community versions of tools, such as PDI 7.0.0.0-25, but in the Admin page under Licenses they show up as Enterprise editions and have license expiry dates. Did I do something wrong during installs or are the tools not community editions?
    2) I managed to successfully merge-join two tables from two sources in PDI (sadly, not possible to do so straight in Pentaho server itself). How do I "publish" the output as a "live" source (e.g. a database table or SQL query) in Pentaho server? In the worst case scenario, if it is not possible in Pentaho server, what is the best/correct way of combining multiple sources in Pentaho so that one could run analysis and/or interactive reports on the combined output? Does one need to create a data warehouse outside Pentaho and then use that as a single source instead?
    3) I have been unable to successfully configure the smtp mail server despite all the settings being correct. Is there a debug mode/log file that I could check to see what's going on during email sending to troubleshoot it? I am running Pentaho server on a Windows server.

More questions to come, I am sure. Thank you very much in advance!
    Last edited by emberins; 02-08-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emberins View Post
    More questions to come, I am sure. Thank you very much in advance!
    Welcome!
    My usual recommendation is to start by reading https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-an...second-edition

As for your question about CE vs EE... It sounds like you inadvertantly downloaded the EE demo (Pentaho/Hitachi makes this an *EASY* mistake to make). Go to Sourceforge and download it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez View Post
    As for your question about CE vs EE... It sounds like you inadvertantly downloaded the EE demo (Pentaho/Hitachi makes this an *EASY* mistake to make). Go to Sourceforge and download it from there.
    Thank you gutlez! OK, I will double-check; though, I am pretty sure mine came from Sourceforge, called 'pdi-ce-7.0.0.0-25.zip'.

Quote Originally Posted by emberins View Post
    2) I managed to successfully merge-join two tables from two sources in PDI (sadly, not possible to do so straight in Pentaho server itself). How do I "publish" the output as a "live" source (e.g. a database table or SQL query) in Pentaho server? In the worst case scenario, if it is not possible in Pentaho server, what is the best/correct way of combining multiple sources in Pentaho so that one could run analysis and/or interactive reports on the combined output? Does one need to create a data warehouse outside Pentaho and then use that as a single source instead?
    Hi emberins, in regard to this question, PDI is an ETL tool, that means Extract, Transform and Load, you extract data from different sources, transform it to meet your requirements and load it to different sources or the same source, this is a
    technique tipical in datawarehouses, so yes, you "publish" the output into a database apart from the Pentaho Server, it can be alocated in the same machine, but it's something apart from the Pentaho server.
    If what you need is create a file such as an CSV, XML, Excel or something you want to query using the Pentaho Server tools (a report or a Dashboard), then you can load it to the repository in Pentaho server.
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Ana GH View Post
    Hi emberins, in regard to this question, PDI is an ETL tool, that means Extract, Transform and Load, you extract data from different sources, transform it to meet your requirements and load it to different sources or the same source, this is a
    technique tipical in datawarehouses, so yes, you "publish" the output into a database apart from the Pentaho Server, it can be alocated in the same machine, but it's something apart from the Pentaho server.
    If what you need is create a file such as an CSV, XML, Excel or something you want to query using the Pentaho Server tools (a report or a Dashboard), then you can load it to the repository in Pentaho server.
    Regards
    Ah, please forgive me my terminology. I realise I have used 'Pentaho server' when I actually meant Pentaho itself. I have actually gone a step further now and managed to 'publish' the output of my two merged tables as a data service in 'Spoon'/'Kettle' (testing the data service neatly displays the desired output, and http://localhost:8081/kettle/listServices/ lists my virtual table), but I am having issues connecting to the Pentaho Data Service source from Pentaho, though, and am yet to understand why:
    1) either it has to be attached to 'Carte' or something else before it can be accessed in Pentaho
    2) or it should run as is and is simply a configuration/network issue (port/address/credentials/webappname (what is webappname anyway?) )