Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: basics of pentaho

Default basics of pentaho

hi
    I am very new to pentaho. Where should I start with and what concepts should be clear before dealing with pentaho and please give a link to download the community edition
    thanks in advance.

Hi there,

A good starting point is
    http://community.pentaho.com/

If you're talking about PDI a.k.a. Kettle, here's the community edition. You should probably get 4.0.1 stable:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pent...20Integration/

Check out the wiki for documentation on pentaho components incl. Kettle:
    http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/COM/Community+Wiki+Home

There is some literature that you should have at least heard of

Cheers

Slawo

Pentaho is a Business Intelligence platform. The two items that may be of most interest to you is Pentaho Data Integration (Kettle), a very complete ETL tool, and the BI Platform/Server.
    You can fire up and start using both immediately. They both contain some excellent examples that should help you determine if Pentaho's tools will be useful to you.

Do not forget to check out the Pentaho Report Designer too! I love it!!!

If you are a developer, look at pentaho-xul/shandor-xul. It's an awesome UI framework (nothing to do with BI).

HTH,
    -Curtis

Edit: Check out the link on Slawo's signature. The site looks very informative.
    Last edited by cboyden; 09-03-2010 at 09:39 AM.

dmoran Guest

Also - the IRC channel, ##pentaho on freenode.net has a lot of knowledgable people that can help

hi
    links provided by Slawo was of great help.I am getting a view now and started with ETL.
    thnks to all.

start with the pentaho community edition.
    Regards,
    Atul Darne.

Now you can add the new Pentaho Data Integration Cookbook to this list.
    In the book site you will find the full table of contents and a sample chapter for downloading,
    Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by slawomir.chodnicki View Post
    Hi there,

A good starting point is
    http://community.pentaho.com/

If you're talking about PDI a.k.a. Kettle, here's the community edition. You should probably get 4.0.1 stable:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pent...20Integration/

Check out the wiki for documentation on pentaho components incl. Kettle:
    http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/COM/Community+Wiki+Home

There is some literature that you should have at least heard of

Cheers

Slawo

Hi....i am also new so i tried reading some sticky posts first...you can find some wikis and tutorials there...
    Φαψεβοοκ - Γνώρισε όλα τα κρυφά μυστικά του Facebook(™)

I am trying to generate the report automatically using pentaho reporting output. The sample report works just perfect after starting BI server. Now when I try execute my report based on MySQL, its generating zero byte file. I tried using JNDI connection as well as native but still no luck.

Initially I was trying with parameterized report but then tried to execute normal report and found that the moment, it needs data source, it stops writing and I could see just headers in that case.

Any pointers as where would I be making the silly mistake? Even a sample on MySQL will be great help.

---------------------------

Hi....i am also new so i tried reading some sticky posts first...you can find some wikis and tutorials there.

Hello.
    Im really sorry about off topic but i have a question.
    Yesterday i created a new thread but its not displayed yet.
    How long does it takes to approve a new thread?
    I really dont know what to do so again sorry for off topic and thanks for your answers.

Hello how are you?
    I have to do a project in Kettle, in which I have to create some javascript to be able to read and identify what type of database is the one in data entry. After learning that database type, i have to change the format to suit other I want.
    In short what I have to do is:
    • Development a script for automatic detection of the type of database entry.
    • Development a data transformation script.
    • Development a script to format data in the format I want.
    Thank you!

each thread you post here goes under the scanner of Mr. moderator and if it's apt then it gets displayed .. and if smoehow doesn't relevant to the topic running over the area .. is deleted ..

Red face basics of pentaho

You know basics of SQL .So it will easy for you.Because Pentaho help to develop query by using various component.

Regards,
    Rushikesh

Hi All,

I have published detailed video on Pentaho Data Integration - Hope this will provide detailed insights abt Pentaho for both beginners and advance users - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayFt9L0n_rM

I have also published Complete Pentaho BI suite with Big data Integration on this site .. If interested have a look https://intellipaat.com/pentaho-online-training/ . Hope this will be useful to many users here

Regards,
    Diwakar
    +91-9008311988

Hello Guys, I'm new in this forum.. and Pentaho's world.
    Please, I need understand how can I delete a DataSource into Pentaho User Console. I know how to create, but I can't see how to delete.
    tks in advance

Hi ,

I am new to pentaho data integration and i would like know how to install pentaho data integration enterprise edition on linux server and access from another system(our local system).

Moreover i have downloaded pentaho data integration enterprise edition on linux server and getting below error while executing spoon.sh.

org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: No more handles [gtk_init_check() failed]

Could you please help me on this.

Thanks and Regards,
    Khadar Shaik.

I'm new to Pentaho.

I want to create and run a job from a Java application and pass parameters to the job.
    I tried Jaspersoft ETL / Talend Open Studio but afaik I need the commercial version to be able to do that.

Can this be done using Pentaho community edition or do I need a commercial license for this?

regards
    Guus

Quote Originally Posted by gvorster View Post
    I'm new to Pentaho.

I want to create and run a job from a Java application and pass parameters to the job.
    I tried Jaspersoft ETL / Talend Open Studio but afaik I need the commercial version to be able to do that.

Can this be done using Pentaho community edition or do I need a commercial license for this?

regards
    Guus
    Ok I found out that that is possible. I created a sample transformation and can define parameters and pass them via command line using pan.sh
    Found examples on the forum that it can be passed via external Java application as well.

Hello ,

You can delete the data source in one way i knew first select the list of data sources and when the dialogue opens up select the datasource u want and there's a cross symbol above and just click it .it should be deleted automatically.

Hi,
    I am taking my first steps in Pentaho and Pentaho Data Integration (hereafter, PDI) and I already have some basic questions:
    1) I was under the impression I downloaded the community versions of tools, such as PDI 7.0.0.0-25, but in the Admin page under Licenses they show up as Enterprise editions and have license expiry dates. Did I do something wrong during installs or are the tools not community editions?
    2) I managed to successfully merge-join two tables from two sources in PDI (sadly, not possible to do so straight in Pentaho server itself). How do I "publish" the output as a "live" source (e.g. a database table or SQL query) in Pentaho server? In the worst case scenario, if it is not possible in Pentaho server, what is the best/correct way of combining multiple sources in Pentaho so that one could run analysis and/or interactive reports on the combined output? Does one need to create a data warehouse outside Pentaho and then use that as a single source instead?
    3) I have been unable to successfully configure the smtp mail server despite all the settings being correct. Is there a debug mode/log file that I could check to see what's going on during email sending to troubleshoot it? I am running Pentaho server on a Windows server.

More questions to come, I am sure. Thank you very much in advance!
    Last edited by emberins; 02-08-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emberins View Post
    More questions to come, I am sure. Thank you very much in advance!
    Welcome!
    My usual recommendation is to start by reading https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-an...second-edition

As for your question about CE vs EE... It sounds like you inadvertantly downloaded the EE demo (Pentaho/Hitachi makes this an *EASY* mistake to make). Go to Sourceforge and download it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez View Post
    As for your question about CE vs EE... It sounds like you inadvertantly downloaded the EE demo (Pentaho/Hitachi makes this an *EASY* mistake to make). Go to Sourceforge and download it from there.
    Thank you gutlez! OK, I will double-check; though, I am pretty sure mine came from Sourceforge, called 'pdi-ce-7.0.0.0-25.zip'.

Quote Originally Posted by emberins View Post
    2) I managed to successfully merge-join two tables from two sources in PDI (sadly, not possible to do so straight in Pentaho server itself). How do I "publish" the output as a "live" source (e.g. a database table or SQL query) in Pentaho server? In the worst case scenario, if it is not possible in Pentaho server, what is the best/correct way of combining multiple sources in Pentaho so that one could run analysis and/or interactive reports on the combined output? Does one need to create a data warehouse outside Pentaho and then use that as a single source instead?
    Hi emberins, in regard to this question, PDI is an ETL tool, that means Extract, Transform and Load, you extract data from different sources, transform it to meet your requirements and load it to different sources or the same source, this is a
    technique tipical in datawarehouses, so yes, you "publish" the output into a database apart from the Pentaho Server, it can be alocated in the same machine, but it's something apart from the Pentaho server.
    If what you need is create a file such as an CSV, XML, Excel or something you want to query using the Pentaho Server tools (a report or a Dashboard), then you can load it to the repository in Pentaho server.
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Ana GH View Post
    Hi emberins, in regard to this question, PDI is an ETL tool, that means Extract, Transform and Load, you extract data from different sources, transform it to meet your requirements and load it to different sources or the same source, this is a
    technique tipical in datawarehouses, so yes, you "publish" the output into a database apart from the Pentaho Server, it can be alocated in the same machine, but it's something apart from the Pentaho server.
    If what you need is create a file such as an CSV, XML, Excel or something you want to query using the Pentaho Server tools (a report or a Dashboard), then you can load it to the repository in Pentaho server.
    Regards
    Ah, please forgive me my terminology. I realise I have used 'Pentaho server' when I actually meant Pentaho itself. I have actually gone a step further now and managed to 'publish' the output of my two merged tables as a data service in 'Spoon'/'Kettle' (testing the data service neatly displays the desired output, and http://localhost:8081/kettle/listServices/ lists my virtual table), but I am having issues connecting to the Pentaho Data Service source from Pentaho, though, and am yet to understand why:
    1) either it has to be attached to 'Carte' or something else before it can be accessed in Pentaho
    2) or it should run as is and is simply a configuration/network issue (port/address/credentials/webappname (what is webappname anyway?) )