Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Report Designer 3.7 RC1 - Hive parameter swallows previous chararacter

Default Report Designer 3.7 RC1 - Hive parameter swallows previous chararacter

I've found that in Report Designer 3.7 RC1, the substitution of a parameter into a Hive query seems to "swallow" the previous character. For example, a query such as this one:

... WHERE foobar=${foobar_val} AND ...

might become:

... WHERE foobarNULL AND ...

rather than:

... WHERE foobar=NULL AND ...

Fortunately, once I figured out that that was what was happening, it was easy to work around: I just had to insert an arbitrary character before the parameter. (For sake of readability, I inserted a space; but I also tried inserting an "x", just for the heck of it, and that worked just as well.)

Sorry if this issue has already been reported.

Can you please createa Jira for this issue? It is probably not limited to Hive.
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I've created a JIRA ticket: http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PRD-3085

I only saw this issue with Hive; it didn't seem to affect PostgreSQL. (Note that the Hive JDBC drivers use the Hive command-line interface under the covers, so it wouldn't shock me if this is a bug inside those drivers, rather than inside Report Designer per se. But they're Pentaho-specific drivers at the moment, and I didn't see a way to file a bug against them, so I filed it under Report Designer as the product that reproducibly experiences the issue.)