Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Error with CDE 1.0 rc1 and 3.7GA

Default Error with CDE 1.0 rc1 and 3.7GA

I'm getting a ton of this error in the catalina.out log:

15:57:33,619 ERROR [DashboardDesignerContentGenerator] java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError - Could not initialize class pt.webdetails.cdf.dd.structure.XmlStructure

I just installed 3.7 on a server and am using Oracle as my repository for hibernate and quartz. Everything seems to be working as I expect in that regard. I dropped in the CDE folders into my solutions/system directory, restarted the bi server and tried to create a dashboard and this is where I'm at. I'm trying to upload the catalina.out file (or at least a subset of it) but I'm running into difficulties uploading it. I'll keep trying until I get it right.

Any ideas where I went sideways with this?
    Dan Peacock
    Enterprise Data Architect and Oracle DBA/Apologist
    danp@autowares.com

We've heard people having issues with CDE + 3.7, but up until now we've been unable to replicate the issue

Is that CE or EE?
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

I'm using EE.

And I have the catalina.out file (I renamed it to .txt in my first attempt to get it to upload) attached now.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Dan Peacock
    danp@autowares.com

Out of curiosity, have you tried with CE?
    Pedro Alves

I haven't. I'll give it a go on another machine today.
    Dan Peacock
    danp@autowares.com

Yes, I get the same error when I try the 3.7 CE edition. The one thing I should note is that I tried the CE edition on Windows as I wasn't able to get the linux version running on my laptop (I think that one had more to do with the Java configuration than anything else).
    Dan Peacock
    danp@autowares.com

I'll kick off a build of RC2 with 3.7 libs
    Pedro Alves

And done, check http://tinyurl.com/33a3yhu
    Pedro Alves

Default errors with CDE 1.0-RC2 + BI Server 3.7

I have been seeing attached errors consistently across 2 instances of BI Server 3.7 EE with CDE 1.0 RC2 applied.

The first time the CDE is pulled up, I see the "ERROR [DashboardDesignerContentGenerator] java.lang.ExceptionInInitializer - null

Every time I attempt to open CDE thereafter, I would see the last 2 errors.

Also, while applying CDE, if the directory existed on BI server, I deleted the following before copying from CDE bundle.
    bi-developers/cdf-samples
    pentaho-solutions/cdf
    pentaho-solutions/system/pentaho-cdf

While using chrome, I get "ERROR [DashboardDesignerContentGenerator] java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError - Could not initialize class pt.webdetails.cdf.dd.structure.XmlStructure" as shown. However, with firefox 3.6 - the error repeats until the browser is closed. (like Dan below).

Thanks for any help!
    AL
    Last edited by acimi; 11-30-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Added browser related errors info

I still can't get it to work. I tried it against the EE version on Linux and I just get a single "can'f find XMLStructure" error where it doesn't do anything afterwards. I brought up the CE on my windows box (I couldn't get the CE to work on Linux at all) and I get the 15:57:33,619 ERROR [DashboardDesignerContentGenerator] java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError - Could not initialize class pt.webdetails.cdf.dd.structure.XmlStructure getting thrown repeatedly until I close the pane in the browser. I'm so new to all this that I'm not even sure if it's my installation (I've got the latest Sun JDK 1.6_0_22 on both systems). It's acting like it can't find the CDF DD folder, but I've got it out there so I'm not sure what I've done wrong.
    Dan Peacock
    danp@autowares.com

Are both of you using windows?
    Pedro Alves

Using Windows XP.

I am using a windows xp box to run the 3.7 CE. On the systems I want to run it on we will be using Ubuntu.
    Dan Peacock
    danp@autowares.com

I don't understand and can't reproduce it.

If any of you guys can drop in the pentaho irc channel to help debug the issue, ping me there
    Pedro Alves

Dan sent me the catalina.out logs. Some comments:

You need to investigate this for me. Only sane explanation is that...
    you're doing something wrong.

Look at this:

org.pentaho.platform.api.engine.PlatformPluginRegistrationException:
    PluginManager.ERROR_0024 - A plugin has already been registered by name
    Dashboard Designer Framework.

and ....

at
    pt.webdetails.cdf.dd.DashboardDesignerContentGenerator.getcomponentdefinitions(DashboardDesignerContentGenerator.java:143)

The problem is that line 143... is empty. The line numbers don't match
    the source.

I also saw a java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: pt.webdetails.cdf.dd.render.components.DateParameterComponent .
    Can you check if this is on the jar file?
    Pedro Alves

Attaching the last/relevant part of the log produced here....

Can you test this jar, replacing the existing one in solution/system/pentaho-cdf-dd/lib ?

file.zip
    Pedro Alves

Finally - I know what's wrong.... now I need to find how to fix it, but that's another story (and a much easier one)
    Pedro Alves

Quote Originally Posted by pmalves View Post
    Dan sent me the catalina.out logs. Some comments:

You need to investigate this for me. Only sane explanation is that...
    you're doing something wrong.
    I would never dispute that.
    Dan Peacock
    danp@autowares.com

Ok, the problem is fixed. I'll just include a simple sample and make a release by the end of the day
    Pedro Alves

Great! Thanks Pedro

Released RC3. Should be fixed
    Pedro Alves

I can run the cde_sample. But unable to edit the cde_sample or create a new CDE Dashboard.
    Don't see any error messages on tomcat console, but got the following in localhost*.log. I am using firefox 3.6.12 on windows xp.

Dec 1, 2010 9:59:31 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
    INFO: 21:59:31,015 ERROR [SystemSettings] ::: SYSTEMSETTINGS.ERROR_0002 - File C:\BIApps\biserver-3.7_secondinstall\biserver-ee\pentaho-solutions\system\cda\settings.xml does not exist
    21:59:31,015 ERROR [SystemSettings] ::: SYSTEMSETTINGS.ERROR_0002 - File C:\BIApps\biserver-3.7_secondinstall\biserver-ee\pentaho-solutions\system\cda\settings.xml does not exist

Dec 1, 2010 9:59:48 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
    INFO: 21:59:48,562 WARN [Logger] misc-org.pentaho.platform.engine.core.system.PentahoSystem: PentahoSystem.WARN_OBJECT_NOT_CONFIGURED - Object with name "IUserDetailsRoleListService" has not been configured in the Pentaho object factory.

Dec 1, 2010 9:59:52 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
    INFO: 21:59:50,031 WARN [Logger] misc-org.pentaho.platform.engine.core.system.PentahoSystem: PentahoSystem.WARN_OBJECT_NOT_CONFIGURED - Object with name "Mondrian-UserRoleMapper" has not been configured in the Pentaho object factory.
    21:59:50,046 WARN [Logger] misc-org.pentaho.platform.engine.core.system.PentahoSystem: PentahoSystem.WARN_OBJECT_NOT_CONFIGURED - Object with name "Mondrian-UserRoleMapper" has not been configured in the Pentaho object factory.

Dec 1, 2010 10:00:22 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
    INFO: Loading File:/cde_sample/cde_sample1.cdfde

Dec 1, 2010 10:00:31 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
    INFO: Loading File:/cde_sample/cde_sample1.cdfde

Dec 1, 2010 10:00:43 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
    INFO: Saving File:/cde_sample/cde_sample1_tmp.cdfde

Also, when I hit new/save/save as in the CDE Editor, I see the window but do not see the pentaho solution directory structure. Title/Description both show undefined.

Is it just me?

None of those errors seem to be related to C**. You should be able to edit, anyone else has this issue?
    Pedro Alves

After launching the user console (BI Server 3.7EE), I tried to create a new CDE Dashboard and see the following in localhost log.
    The Layout, Components and Data Sources are all blank. I am interested to see if anyone else is also seeing this.
    peacocda, things working for you?
    Thanks!

Dec 2, 2010 10:49:53 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
    INFO: 10:49:53,796 ERROR [GenericServlet] GenericServlet.ERROR_0004 - Resource /data-access/resources/gwt/modeler_en.properties not found in plugin Pentaho Data Access

INFO: 10:49:53,843 ERROR [GenericServlet] GenericServlet.ERROR_0004 - Resource /data-access/resources/gwt/main_wizard_panel_en.properties not found in plugin Pentaho Data Access

INFO: 10:49:53,843 ERROR [GenericServlet] GenericServlet.ERROR_0004 - Resource /data-access/resources/gwt/nativeScripts.js not found in plugin Pentaho Data Access

INFO: 10:49:53,921 ERROR [GenericServlet] GenericServlet.ERROR_0004 - Resource /data-access/resources/gwt/main_wizard_panel_en_US.properties not found in plugin Pentaho Data Access

Dec 2, 2010 10:49:54 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
    INFO: 10:49:54,000 ERROR [GenericServlet] GenericServlet.ERROR_0004 - Resource /pentaho-cdf-dd/lang/messages_supported_languages.properties not found in plugin Community Dashboard Editor

INFO: 10:49:54,703 ERROR [GenericServlet] GenericServlet.ERROR_0004 - Resource /data-access/resources/gwt/gwt-dnd.css not found in plugin Pentaho Data Access

INFO: 10:49:54,750 ERROR [GenericServlet] GenericServlet.ERROR_0004 - Resource /pentaho-cdf-dd/lang/messages_en.properties not found in plugin Community Dashboard Editor

INFO: 10:49:54,875 ERROR [GenericServlet] GenericServlet.ERROR_0004 - Resource /pentaho-cdf-dd/lang/messages_en_US.properties not found in plugin Community Dashboard Editor

None of those errors seem fatal to cde . Having said that, I didn't try RC3 with 3.7EE, need to take a look at it asap
    Pedro Alves

I'm thinking it might be a windows problem. I can get the CDE to open up on my Linux workstation, but when I try to create a new dashboard through CDE on my Windows box, I too can't see the solution folder list.

On a side note, I tried to edit and run the CDE sample and I got the following error stack:

Code:
    14:27:05,421 ERROR [DashboardDesignerContentGenerator] java.lang.NullPointerException - null
    java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    	at pt.webdetails.cdf.dd.DashboardDesignerContentGenerator.createContent(DashboardDesignerContentGenerator.java:108)
    	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor96.invoke(Unknown Source)
    	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    	at com.pentaho.platform.web.http.context.a.invoke(SourceFile:220)
    	at $Proxy29.createContent(Unknown Source)
    	at org.pentaho.platform.web.servlet.GenericServlet.doGet(GenericServlet.java:261)
    	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:617)
    	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
    	at org.pentaho.platform.web.http.filters.PentahoWebContextFilter.doFilter(PentahoWebContextFilter.java:77)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
    	at org.pentaho.platform.web.http.filters.PentahoRequestContextFilter.doFilter(PentahoRequestContextFilter.java:84)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
    	at org.springframework.security.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:378)
    	at org.springframework.security.intercept.web.FilterSecurityInterceptor.invoke(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:109)
    	at org.springframework.security.intercept.web.FilterSecurityInterceptor.doFilter(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:83)
    	at org.springframework.security.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:390)
    	at org.springframework.security.ui.ExceptionTranslationFilter.doFilterHttp(ExceptionTranslationFilter.java:101)
    	at org.springframework.security.ui.SpringSecurityFilter.doFilter(SpringSecurityFilter.java:53)
    	at org.springframework.security.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:390)
    	at org.pentaho.platform.web.http.security.SecurityStartupFilter.doFilter(SecurityStartupFilter.java:103)
    	at org.springframework.security.providers.anonymous.AnonymousProcessingFilter.doFilterHttp(AnonymousProcessingFilter.java:105)
    	at org.springframework.security.ui.SpringSecurityFilter.doFilter(SpringSecurityFilter.java:53)
    	at org.pentaho.platform.web.http.security.RequestParameterAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(RequestParameterAuthenticationFilter.java:169)
    	at org.springframework.security.ui.basicauth.BasicProcessingFilter.doFilterHttp(BasicProcessingFilter.java:174)
    	at org.springframework.security.ui.AbstractProcessingFilter.doFilterHttp(AbstractProcessingFilter.java:278)
    	at org.springframework.security.ui.logout.LogoutFilter.doFilterHttp(LogoutFilter.java:89)
    	at org.pentaho.platform.web.http.security.HttpSessionReuseDetectionFilter.doFilter(HttpSessionReuseDetectionFilter.java:134)
    	at org.springframework.security.context.HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.doFilterHttp(HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.java:235)
    	at org.springframework.security.wrapper.SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.doFilterHttp(SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.java:91)
    	at org.springframework.security.util.FilterChainProxy.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:175)
    	at org.springframework.security.util.FilterToBeanProxy.doFilter(FilterToBeanProxy.java:99)
    	at com.pentaho.ui.servlet.SystemStatusFilter.doFilter(SourceFile:43)
    	at org.pentaho.platform.web.http.filters.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:113)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
    	at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:433)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:128)
    	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
    	at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:293)
    	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:849)
    	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)
    	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:454)
    	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    	at pt.webdetails.cdf.dd.ResourceManager.getResourceExtension(ResourceManager.java:124)
    	at pt.webdetails.cdf.dd.ResourceManager.getResourceAsString(ResourceManager.java:53)
    	at pt.webdetails.cdf.dd.Dashboard.render(Dashboard.java:149)
    	at pt.webdetails.cdf.dd.DashboardDesignerContentGenerator.render(DashboardDesignerContentGenerator.java:211)
    	... 73 more
    Dan Peacock
    danp@autowares.com