Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excel Input / Sheetname Problem

Default Excel Input / Sheetname Problem

Hi,

i got a problem with my Excel Input Step.

I import with a wildcard Expression Excel Files into my PDI, that's working fine for me. All the Excel Files do have the same Sheetname.
    The problem i have is when i upload a Excel File with a wrong/different Sheetname the PDI does not see this as an error it just does not import any rows from the Excel but says everythiong is ok.

Is there a way to tell PDI that the Sheetname has to be exactly the one filled in in the excel input step?

I really need this feature because if someone else import data i do not get any error message if the sheetname is incorrect.

thanks in advance!

In another tab inside 'Excel Input' -> '!Sheets' -> Press 'Get Sheetnames (S)' -> Add new sheetname into Right frame -> Then Run the transformation.

--Vishwesh

Also as per instructions please add your PDI version name and environment.. It will definitly help to solve the issue quickly..

--Vishwesh

Hello,

i got version 4.2.0-M1 on a Win 7 64bit computer.

Your solution does not fix my problem. I got a kettle job where users can upload their excel files to a folder and pdi does automatically take this file transform and put it in to a database. I just want to handle the case a user uses a wrong filename, because at this point i do not get any error message when a users uploades a file with a wrong sheetname.

Thanks!

Can you please attach your transformation file with Dummy input file?

--Vishwesh

It' a ver easy Example, if you start the transformation everything is working fine. In the Example the Sheetname is Test an when i run the transformation you can see that the rows will be read.
    When i now change the Sheetname to something different you still can start the transdormation but you do not see any error messages, you just see that there will no files be read.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Does nobody has a answer?
    Isn't it posible to see if a excel file with a wrong sheetname tries to be imported by pdi?

Just leaving the sheet name blank will cause all sheets to be read. If you don't want that you need to specify a sheet name to be read.
    It's one of these 2 options.

Thank you for your answer!
    I am going to check the sheetname with an extra Merge Rows Step.

Hallo Forum,

got the same problem with sheet-names: I import per Wild-Card from a FTP-Server. Works fine. But sometimes the Excel-Sheet is made by an italian version of excel and sometimes by an english-version. ... so the standard-sheet-name differs accedently.

Would be nice to have something like: USE THE FIRST DATA-CONTAINING SHEET. Would be a good match to the WildeCard-Stuff
    Last edited by blauetomate; 03-31-2011 at 07:32 AM.