Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Can remote execution use remote kettle.properties?

Default Can remote execution use remote kettle.properties?

I am trying to execute kettle jobs/transformations remotely and I thought the kettle.properties were also read remotely. This isn't the case.
    Does anyone know how to use these properties instead of the local ones?

Are you running those remote trans through Carte or Spoon?
    As far as I remember, you can set the KETTLE_HOME environment variable to where you want your properties file read from.
    In case you're running Carte, you'll need to set this variable in each server, pointing to each specific folder.

On the other hand, I'm not sure you can do this if you run it through Spoon.

Cheers,

By default the kettle home directory is in ~\.kettle (the users home directory + .kettle) and can therefore depend on the OS and the user running the app (Carte, DI Server, etc...).
    For instance, if you are running the DI Server as a Windows Service, then the Local System account is likely being used and the kettle home directory would not be in your users home directory.

But that doesn't discard the KETTLE_HOME hint, right Clyde?

kettle.properties is read by Carte for a number of default values regarding the Carte config. However, variables values are typically sent along with the remote execution configuration of the transformation or job.