Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Unable to connect to ODBC Data Source (GeneroDB)

Default Unable to connect to ODBC Data Source (GeneroDB)

We have a live system running on a database called as GeneroDB. We are in the process of migrating all the data from GeneroDB to PostgtreSQL. They vendor provides ODBC driver that can be installed in Windows and Linux. For Windows we have installed the driver as usual and setup the DSN. After that we place the jdbc driver in the libext/JDBC folder. We test the connectivity from Kettle Database Connection screen and found it working well.

The problem is with Linux. We have installed the ODBC driver in RedHat and tested the DSN connectivity. It works well. Similar to what we did in Windows we placed the jdbc driver in the libext/JDBC directory. After that we test the connectivity from Kettle Database Connection screen. This time it failed

To ascertain if the jdbc driver actually works, we wrote a small Java program and ran it in Linux to access GeneroDB. It didn't work at first even though we pointed at the jdbc driver using 'java -cp" flag. But when we "unjar" the driver and left it as a directory the Java code was able to connect to GeneroDB. We tried "unjar" the driver and place it in all the possible library directories in Kettle. But the test fails each time when tested from the Kettle's Database Connection screen. I have attached the error listing.

Please assist us on this matter.

Thank you.

Regards,

Selvam
    Attached Files Attached Files

Could it have anything to do with file permissions?

This was the first that I checked. I made sure the jar file's permission is same as the rest of the jdbc jar file.

Anything else that needs to be checked? We have been sitting on this issue for more than a month. Can't file any solution. Please help.

Thanking in advance.

AFAIK, the Java ODBC/JDBC bridge only works on Windows.

If what Matt says is true, then I guess you could either file an issue on JIRA, or dowload Kettle's source code and try some other methods.