Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Any way to speed up Serialze to file?

Default Any way to speed up Serialze to file?

Are there any known ways to speed up the Serialize to file step? OR is there a good way to basically write all of your rows to a temp file so that another step can read them in? I am writing about 1million rows to a file (about 10mb total) and it's taking like 10min. I noticed that the serialize to file step only has a queue of 200 rows which may be causing most of the slowdown. So is there a way to set the queue size of a step to possibly speed it up?

Serialize to file is actually the fastest way to serialize data. Perhaps there is another reason why it's slow.
    Perhaps the target disk is on a slow network drive or perhaps another step is the slowest.

You were right Matt, I had two database lookup steps before that were dropping the queue size down from 10k to 200, I changed these to table input steps and used a stream lookup, therefore taking the db traffic down to one hit and it keeps the queue size at 10k. This almost cut the run time in half (515seconds before to 290 now).

I'm guessing that the serialize to file step was showing 200 rows waiting but it was actually being held up due to the rows coming in slowly.

It writes out a GZipped file. That in itself buffers a lot actually.
    For fast disks it probably would be a good idea to support non-compressed binary output as well.