Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Google Analytics - Dynamic Dates

Default Google Analytics - Dynamic Dates

I am using the widget/plug-in 'Read Google Analytics Data' which needs a 'from' and 'to' date but does anyone know how I supply this widget with dynamic dates rather than hard coding it?

The EE step "Google Analytics Input Step" has variable support which will allow you to set a variable from a Job, thusly permitting a dynamic date range.

Slawo's Google Analytics plugin also supports variables too:
    http://type-exit.org/adventures-with...in-for-kettle/

So you can set a variable from a parent job (say in a separate transformation which sets the dates using a "Get System Info" step) and then you can pass start and end date variables to your transformation which gets the data from Google. Just remember to put your dates into the right format (yyyy-MM-dd) before saving them into the variable string.
    Tony, Cloud2Land.com

Get the latest snapshot Pentaho Data Integration (Kettle) builds from SVN on my blog!
    http://www.cloud2land.com/

Thanks for the solution ...

Could you tell me how you achieved this ?

This is what i'm trying - but i get an error at the GA step -

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><errors xmlns="
    http://schemas.google.com/g/2005"><error><domain>GData</domain><code>invalidParameter</code><location type="parameter">end-date</location><internalReason>Invalid value ''. Values must match the following regular expression: '[0-9]{4}-[0-9]{2}-[0-9]{2}'</internalReason></error><error><domain>GData</domain><code>invalidParameter</code><location type="parameter">start-date</location><internalReason>Invalid value ''. Values must match the following regular expression: '[0-9]{4}-[0-9]{2}-[0-9]{2}'</internalReason></error></errors>

My Job steps are :

1) Transformation 1 : Get System Info (start and end date) --> Select Values ( to change format to yyyy-MM-dd) ---> Copy rows to result.
    2) Transformation 2 : Get rows from result (Get field names Start_Date and End_Date) --> Google Analytics Input step (use variable name ${Start_Date} and ${End_Date}) --> Table Output (insert into database)

What am i missing here ? Its clearly not getting the date from the variables..

Thanks a lot !

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post

1) Transformation 1 : Get System Info (start and end date) --> Select Values ( to change format to yyyy-MM-dd) ---> Copy rows to result.
    2) Transformation 2 : Get rows from result (Get field names Start_Date and End_Date) --> Google Analytics Input step (use variable name ${Start_Date} and ${End_Date}) --> Table Output (insert into database)

What am i missing here ? Its clearly not getting the date from the variables..

Thanks a lot !

To use variables, you need to use the Set Variables step, not the Copy Rows to result step. You're REALLY close to a working solution!

That worked ! Thankyou