Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Mapping (sub-transformation) consuming inputs

Default Mapping (sub-transformation) consuming inputs

Hi,

I have read the reference and searched the forums, but couldn't find anything to help with this:

I'm utilising sub-transformations and strangely my input fields are no longer available in the parent transformation, in following steps. It's as if the sub-transformation consumes the fields. Is this the nature of the step type, or could it be due to one/more steps within the sub-transformation (e.g. a select values)?

The only way I can think to solve it is to create "disposable" copies of the fields I use an inputs to the mapping, but this seems cumbersome and wasteful.

I'd appreciate your assistance!

Thanks,
    Neil

Hello Neil,

Have you mapped your output fields?
    What version are you running?

Cheers,
    Renato

Hi Renato,

I'm running PDI 4.1, and I have mapped my output fields.

This could be related but if I try to show output fields on any step after or including the sub-transformation in question, I get an error titled "Error getting fields", with message "Unable to connect find mapped value with name '[the field i'm using]'." The show output fields fails after that.

I think I've narrowed the problem down to the "Include unspecified fields, ordered by name" check-box on the Mapping Input Specification step in my sub-transformation. I think I've been mis-using that. The weirdness occurs when I have it ticked.