Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Use email attachment as input

Default Use email attachment as input

Is is possible (or is there any plugin, which allows) to use the attachment (in Excel format) as the input of a PDI-transformation. Every time the transformation (or job) is started, the mail box should be polled. If new mail is available, the attachment should be retrieved and used as an Excel input.

Hi there,

I think most people do that by having a job that uses the "Get Mails" job entry, and follow it up by a transformation that uses an Excel input step.

Cheers

Slawo

I realize this is a very old thread but it is exactly what I am looking to do and searching and searching is just coming up here. Does anyone know of an example of this? I fail to see how in the 5.1.0 Email Messages Input step I can get at the attachment and turn it into something the Excel step can receive.

Yes we do exactly that.

Use a 'get emails from ..." job step saving the attachments to a specific folder (we use a 'today's folder but that's for convenience), then check if the desired file is there (we require a specific name, but you can also look whatever is there and check the date/time). Start a transformation that reads the desired file(s).