Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Getting Kettle to Run on Windows 7

Default Getting Kettle to Run on Windows 7

I downloaded the 4.1.0 stable version of Kettle. Prior to that I installed the 64 bit version of Java into its own directory, downloaded from Sun/Oracle.

I tried running Spoon.bat but it failed. I then ran it from the command line and received some error messages. Before posting that, I should mention that kettle.exe is no more. Is this correct?

Here are the error messages:

C:\Pentaho\data-integration>spoon.bat
    WARNING: Using java from path
    DEBUG: _PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME=
    DEBUG: _PENTAHO_JAVA=javaw
    The system cannot find the path specified.
    The system cannot find the path specified.
    GOTO was unexpected at this time.

I have a little bit of familiarity with Windows batch files, but I don't really have an idea of what I would need to change in the file to get this to work.

Does anyone have any ideas? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

There's a thread about this error.

Have you got Java 32 bit installed as well or only 64 bit?

I have found that Win ask you to download Java 32 bit as well, especially if you need a java plugin for a browser.

Mick

Figured it out. I saw that thread as well and made sure the 64-bit Java was installed. Unfortunately, that wasn't it.

I did some Googling and came across this: http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-4281

The fix was putting the Java JDK directory to the Path variable.

update
    JAVA_HOME:E:\jdk1.6.0_23
    CLASS_PATH:%JAVA_HOME%\lib\dt.jar;%JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar;
    path:%JAVA_HOME%\bin;

Hi all,
    I'm new to Pentaho and Kettle. I can't seem to get the pdi-ce-6.0.1.0-386 version I downloaded the other day to do anything. Since I'm trying to get Kettle to run on Windows 7, I didn't want to start a new thread but I see that the posts in this one are 4 years old. I believe I've done everything I can do. I've googled, which brought me to this thread. I've read the "Latest Pentaho DI (aka Kettle) Documentation" pages. I believe I've set the Java Home system variable appropriately. I'm running Java v8 update 66. I'm running 64 bit Win 7 Pro SP 1. I've uncompressed the Kettle files in a Temp folder. When I run the Spoon.bat file, it executes without giving me an error but it doesn't run anything. I don't get the desktop. Not sure what else to try and no one at my firm knows anything about this product.

If anyone out there is willing to help me get this installed, I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks so much,
    Bev
    Last edited by gutlez; 12-18-2015 at 01:48 PM.

Hi Bev.
    I've uncompressed the Kettle files in a Temp folder
    I would unzip PDI in c:\data-integration.
    Do you have Win 7 32 or 64 bit?
    Please check again your Java Home system variables, especially if you have more than one Java versions installed.
    -- Mick --

Bev,

Could you try opening a command window in the temp directory you have PDI extracted in, and running spoon.bat from that command window? It will give some output that will help us help you track down the problem.

JAVA_HOME not being set correctly is the issue I've run into most, but PDI6 added a wrinkle - it wants 2048M for Java - something that 32bit Java on Windows can't do.

Default Getting error

new to Kettle....not able to open Kettle spoon.bat.
    See attached file
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Marvs2001 View Post
    new to Kettle....not able to open Kettle spoon.bat.
    See attached file
    Marvs, you haven't told us anything about your environment.
    I'm going to guess that you're on 32-bit windows

If so, you need to edit the spoon.bat file, find the line where it contains -Xmx2048m and change it to -Xmx1024m

If you are on 64-bit windows, then make sure that you've go 64-bit java, and that spoon can find that java, rather than the 32-bit java.